Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown or SWR???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mcbassdude, Nov 3, 2003.

1. I'm picking up a practice amp for my son.
    I'm deciding between the SWR LA15 and the ASHDOWN five fifteen.
    Anyone here have practical experience with either of these combo amps?
    I use SWR Cab's (Love them) but have never fooled around with their amp's.
    I've only heard Ashdown but from what I've heard they sound pretty amazing.
    Apples and oranges maybe, but looking for input.
    Also any thoughts on Behringer gear? I'm not familiar with them but they have reasonably priced gear.
    If I could afford it I'd get him that 100watt Ampeg combo but heck the kid's only 10!
    Peace

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    LA15 is NOT an SWR like you know!!!!

If you can swing it, get the 1x12 or 1x15 Electric blue. I've got the Mag 1x12 equivalent and it will keep up at rehearsal fine

3. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    I played one of these behringer ultrabasses at a music go round, sounded great, better than the hartke its copying.behringer ultrabass

4. Yeah I realize these are the entry level for these brands, so I'm not expecting them to be the end all, again it's for my 10 year old but I would like it to be quality. I'd like to know how they stack up to other's in it's class, say the Ibanez or Behringer, Peavey etc. (I'm looking at around $250.00 for either the five fifteen and the LA15)
    I'd love to get the Electric Blue for myself for a practice/Back up rig, but it's a little pricey for the kid.

More comments??

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The LA-15s suck donkey nuts, especially for the inflated price. Mine keeps getting more distorted every day, and I'm feeling more like a Jack Bruce or Lemmy ripoff. And it's not good distorsion, more like crunching leaf distorsion. And at low volumes, the amp has a "flubby" bottom end, and just sounds boring. You're son will be uninspired and not want to play. :( So I say, go for the ashdown! Or, a yorkville combo. Those are cheap, loud, and good sounding. :bassist:

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    2 comments:

First, I got my Ashdown Mag 1x12 200 off eBay for about $350... the EB stuff sits a little cheaper on eBay.

Second, how about a Peavey Microbass III ? I got mine for about $120... killer tone in the bedroom. 20 watts + 1x8"

(might even be convinced to sell it cheap ;) )

7. I definatly want to get more than 20 watts. I'd like to get something that he can play with for some time. The five fifteen is 65 watts and the LA15 is 100 watts.
    $250.00 is definatly my ceiling (it started at 100.00) So there is no way I'm gonna go to 350.00, if I did that I'd have to give him my GK800RB and keep the ASHDOWN for myself!
    I'm starting to think twice about the LA15 though, seems to be a few bad reviews here..

SMASH, I have to believe the five fifteen would be plenty of power to JAM with, unless your blasting the plaster of the walls.I Read your review and it's making me think more towards the Ashdown line. Everything I hear is praise.
    Thanks for the input gentlemen.

8. How about the new Fender Rumble amps? The 60 watt with a 12 goes for 229, the 100 watt model with a 15 is slightly more. They seem like a good deal.

9. Smash,
    Yeah I know the whole wattage thing can be very deceiving. I've played out of 50 watt heads that blew some 100 watt heads to shame. However as a rule 20 watt's for a bass amp is a little light.

Starting think the Lad will have an ashdown and Dad will be green with envy.

10. Now it's been years since I tried a fender bass rig, but in the past they were never that grand.
    How are they these days? Have you tried the rumble amps? The price is in my range.

11. I haven't tried the Fender Rumble amps, but they look promising. I would like to try them out as I'm looking for a pratice amp for myself. Sorry to recommend something that I have no experience with, but they have good features at a decent price.

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The LA-15 amps only have about 50 useable watts. The other 50 are pure distorsion.

13. O.K. I'm off the LA15 now.
    I'm really leaning towards ASHDOWN, but what about the Behringer BX 1200 Bassman?
    I've been hearing some good things and they are priced quite nice....

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Can't say I've ever used SWR so couldn't comment!

All of my bass amplification nees are now sorted by Ashdown. I used to be a big Trace Elliot nut, but for a few reasons (including back trouble) I now use Ashdown - an Electric Blue 130 combo for practise and an ABM rig with Mini48 and Mini15 cabs for the bigger stuff!

15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm with him. ;)

16. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
  17. They are not inexpensive that is for sure. I couldn't find any USA dealer who carries them i.e. Blue Cab or Sweet 15, but the euro dealers are priced pretty high for a practice rig. Probably alot more than i want to shell out.

Just saw a Blue Cab 20 going for 179.00 on e-bay, not outrageous but still pricy for a 20 watt rig with a 10" speaker.
    Thanks for the heads up though.

18. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'd just go w/ the Ashdown...

19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    This may be a bit above you're budget, but the Yorkville XM50 looks like a killer amp. I tried an XM200T, which is a 2x10 200 watt combo of theirs, and it was killer. Too loud in the store past 2, and awesome tone. I imagine that the XM50 would be a good amp for him:
    [​IMG]
    $319 at MF :bassist:

20. Well I went way over budget and got the kid an Ampeg B-100R. Got him a mint used one on e-bay for 300.00 US (think I got a good deal?)
    I tried for a couple Ashdown EB's but they slipped away as did a couple of the B-100's (outbid). Music 123 has been listing the Ashdown EB 12 150 at starting bid of $329.00.

I hope I'm/he is pleased with it. I use an old SVT and love it. I know this isn't tube, but I've heard nothing but good stuff about these combo's. I'm hoping it will serve him for many years.

Now I think i'll have to sell my GK800RB and get an Ashdown head....