Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown or SWR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RandyLane04, Jan 22, 2005.

1. RandyLane04

RandyLane04

Apr 28, 2004
    I'm ready to get my 1x15 cab now. I have to keep this low budget and I've narrowed down to Ashdwon MAG or SWR Workingman.
    Please advise.
    Thanks!
    [My head is Ampeg B2R.]

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ashdown. dont think, do.

really though, what do you want from your? what do you not want from your amp? then go from there. but ashdown is where its at.

3. jazbass9

jazbass9

Jan 18, 2005
    I've used both manufacturers products. IMHO definitely go with the Ashdown. The quality of construction is much better, as is the quality of the speaker used. SWR seems to have gone down a bit since their incorporation into Fender.

4. Never used SWR, but I've owned plenty of Ashdown stuff and have always been very happy with it.

5. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    How much are you looking to spend? Eden 15s are easy to get on eBay for around $300.

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    No opinion on one over the other, but if it's a close call for you, the SWR Workingman cabs are being dicsontinued and are half off (or more) practically everywhere.

Price makes the choice in a tight race.

So does the ohm rating of the cab. The B-2R is nominally 250W at 8 Ohms, 350W at 4 Ohms, though I don't think you'll find a 1x15 among these that will genuinely handle that kind of wattage.

Good luck!

7. If you're considering SWR 15's, I recommend you look around for a used Son of Bertha. They sound great and are very portable.

If you're interested and live in the UK, I have one that I'm looking to sell as it's surplus to my current set-up! :D

8. This is a no-brainer. Ashdown without discussion. Best.

9. RandyLane04

RandyLane04

Apr 28, 2004
    You guys have been great.
    Ashdown it is.