1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by speak_onion, Jun 27, 2007.

1. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    When I recommended the Ashdown Filter pedal in that Env Filter thread, I realize that I recommend the Ashdown pedals a lot, and I wrote a bunch of crap about that. I realized it was way off topic, so here's a new thread to address that. By the way, I haven't tried the chorus so this applies only to the OD, Comp, Filter, and Octave.

I know they're not boutique or unique or whatever, and I know that for the most part there are pedals that can best them, however, I think they really are underrated. The sound is amazing for the money, and the tweakability and versatility are amazing period.

I love the Ashdown Bass Drive. It's just sick. I looked around for distortion pedals for a long time and, while I never tried anything more boutique than a Fulltone in person, I listed to tons of clips on the interweb, and eventually just ordered the Ashdown on a lark and out of desperation and since it had a lot of knobs to play with. Nothing else gave me the sound I was looking for (a growling OD tone kind of like the GC Green in Godflesh especially on Selfless), so I figured at least with all those knobs I could find something good. Once I got plugged in and started twisting knobs and stuff, I was thrilled to find that I could find a sound that suited my playing, my taste, and our band even better than ripping off the Godflesh tone. After my first show with it, I actually got my first compliment on tone. It was so much better than compliments on my playing or on the band. So much better.

The Filter is hot. It's an envelope filter and not a Trigger wah or auto wah, so it didn't replace the AW3 on my board, but I definitely like its sounds better than the AW3. It's smoother, deeper and has more resonance if you need it. I wish I could ditch the AW3 in favor of it, but I need the Autowah and Sharp modes, so the Ashdown sits at home to use on recordings.

The Comp is pretty good. I don't think there's a need for a comp in addition to the Bass Drive, but I like it when I play clean 8 string at home. I also like it quite a bit on guitar also.

The Sub Octave has good (not great) tracking, and I HATE how it doesn't let you dial out your clean tone, but the idea of giving you clean and distorted octave sounds to blend leads to gorgeous synthy happiness. I ended up using it for completely different stuff than I expected. Rather than an effect, it's more of a tone shaper. For low slapping riffs it just beefs up the tone, or for mid range stuff it synths me out (Go Home SYB3!).

Thats' all I have to say about the Ashdown pedals. It's out of my system now. I haven't ever felt the need to get the chorus because I don't really like modulation effects. I use a touch of flange here or there, but it's just so done, you know? Oh, and I hate how big the pedals are, but I understand that they need to be big if they're going to have three controls plus input and output volume.

2. I got the Ashdown Filter Pedal a couple months ago... best $69 I ever spent! The looks I get when I kick that thing on are priceless!! I've never tried any of the other ones though. I just ordered a EBS Valve-Drive to replace my Fulltone, so I think I'm set in the drive area (but who knows... hehehehe)

3. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    I have the Ashdown Compressor, and I'm quite pleased. Very subtle, but you can dial in alot of different sounds. I may end up trying the Envelope Filter if I can't find anything else, but it looks like the Drive pedal is out of commission...MF doesn't carry it anymore, at least.

PS: There have been much more off-topic things posted in threads than yours :ninja: it wasn't a problem, and there's not a need to apologize to anyone, mate :D

4. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Agreed! In fact sometimes I get off topic in a thread that I start. :p Hope I didn't upset you with my comment in the Up/Down Envelope Filter thread! :eek:

5. check ebay, I saw this up there for sale and was looking at it myself to try, i figure, its not a lot to spend anyways, and they arent on MF

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ashdown-BASS-Ov...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

6. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    The only Ashdown pedal I've tried was the OD. I wasn't wicked impressed. It was ok, didn't loose any low end etc., but it seemed like it really only had one sound. It wasn't subtle enough for me. To my ear it was similar to the Boss ODB or whatever but a little better.

7. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
  8. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    The dude in the shop told me the OD was discontinued, I think they've been reworking their effects. I got the impression that the change was pretty much cosmetic. But I'm not sure...

9. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
  10. four2oh

four2oh

Mar 29, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I've got the Ashdown Filter and the Compressor.. at first i wasn't overly impressed with either.. but i spent some time over the weekend and change the order of things on my pedalboard, and now that i've put the Compressor in front of the Filter I've been able to dial in some great Dub bass sounds. i guess with anything, it just takes time to find that sweet spot on the dials.

11. I got the filter off a MF stupid deal of the day for $40. I really like it I'm using alot more than I thought I would.

12. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    I think that is proof (to me anyway) that searches on talkbass can be completely intractable. Ever since I joined I've been searching any way I could for info on these pedals, and not found that thread. Anyway, thanks Salty beans for starting that thread, and sorry for this duplicate thread. Ok, that time I did apologize.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021