1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown Perfect Ten - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by derrenleepoole, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Just got my new practice amp, an Ashdown 30 Watt Perfect Ten. I thought I'd write my own 'first impression' review of it here to share with others, as there isn't/doesn't appear to be much feedback about it here on the Talk Bass forums. So here goes...

Appearance: Looks great, with clean simple panel layout and text etc, and good clean lines and design. Cab feels solid and very sturdy and quite heavy for it's size. (Approx 500mm cubed) The knobs feel smooth and not cheap. Jack sockets are tight and feel snug.

Sound: My Fender Precision 50th Anniversary Lyte sounds good, with clear harmonics, a deep low end helped a lot by the 'deep' button (not super tight, but adequate) and reasonable/good middle to high end (it can sound a bit nasal if tweeked too much, but that can be tamed and contolled with the 3 band eq on the bass as well).

Cons: Not much smaller than a Trace Elliot BLX80 which packed 80 watts, so this could of been more powerful for it's size IMO. The casing could actually fit a 12" cone and still have room for vents etc... The power on switch is located at the back of the amp, which might be difficult to get too if you wanted to store the amp under a bed say, but still practice with having to move it if space is a premium. (Why not keep the button on the top like everything else?) Makes one almighty 'pop' when switched on and off. My other amps don't do this that are far more powerful.

Rating: 8/10. A practice amp which does it's job. For it's size I think it could be more powerful, but it makes up for this by having a good overall low end tone for it's size, but also supports harmonics and the upper register well within it's limitations. Perfect for the smaller venue performer or acoustic style practice/band setup. I paid £99 for it if any one is interested.

2. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I like mine too and am glad to hear that pop is with them all :)