Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Perfect Ten mini rig (I know this has been asked)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basscase528, Oct 24, 2005.

1. basscase528

basscase528

Oct 24, 2005
    London UK
    Hey. I was wondering if anybody has actually been able to get a hold of an Ashdown Perfect Ten mini rig since the last thread on this topic. If so what do you think? I want to believe, but I'm skeptical. I need a new combo and I wan't to get the Electric Blue 180-15, but it doesn't have a headphone jack which I need. Any other ideas then? I was thinking maybe the Ampeg BA-112 or 115 although that doesn't look like a lot of bang for the buck.

2. faeasjepardo

faeasjepardo

Oct 18, 2005
    im in the same boat mate.i e-mailed Ashdown 2 days ago and they got back to me this morning, the Perfect 10 minirig is not out in the states till late december, i have also been looking at the ashdown EB-180-15 and EB-180-12. i think im going to go with the EB180-12 the 15 is a little out on my price range and i find the 15inch speakers a little too deep for my style of play personally.
    I read reviews on both and i would say 95% of them are very positive, I mean 180watts for that price is excellent, im gonna be trying the EB-180-12 asap, good luck!

3. basscase528

basscase528

Oct 24, 2005
    London UK
    I was just playing the Electric Blue 15" and I've played the 12" as well. Its pretty nice. Super clean, warm sound and doesn't distort at high volumes. The subharmonic feature is cool as well. The cost difference between the two is marginal but I'd recommend going with the 15" cuz it has a fuller tone. I'm considering the Fender Bassman 150 now thogh. It has a rougher more ballsy sound that I like. Right now I'm stuck between those two.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm still waiting to hear back on this, too. Mostly, I just think that they look cool, and I want to see on in a "real, live" picture (not promo shot).

Tom.

5. Aren't these things rated at 65 watts? I have more powerful light bulbs. Granted, it's a cute little mini-stack, but I have a hard time imagining anything but mini-sounds emanating from that setup.

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Agreed. This is a cool looking practice amp, as far as I can tell.

Tom.

7. Why would anyone want more than 65w (or even less) for a practice amp?

I have a Warwick Blue Cab 20 as my practice amp - the tone from that thing is gold!

For practicing with the band and small gigs I have an Ashdown Electric Blue 12" 180w combo, and for bigger stuff I have an Ashdown Mag 300w head and Ashdown 410 cab.

So, my practice amp uses less juice than my light bulb. I fail to see how that matters. ;)

Interestingly, a huge 520w rig only produces around 9db of extra volume over the "light bulb" class 65w combo (all other things being equal).

;)

8. 9db is a pretty significant difference.

9. The original post does not contain the term, 'practice amp'. ;)

10. My rig is an Eden CXC-110/CX-110- a mere 330 watts & 2 10" drivers, but it will MELT that cute little Ashdown. :D
    BTW, for practicing I play unplugged(my semi-hollow if the kids are asleep & ABG if not ;) ). Oh & the light bulb comment was just being snide. Pardon me...

11. Yes, 9db is pretty significant, but nowhere near what the wattage difference might suggest to the uninitiated. ;)

No, no it doesn't. You're quite right ;) I was really just pointing out that 65w amps (or smaller) have their place, and whilst some aren't very loud, some of them have great tone, and don't sound "mini" at all after you suggested that they'd not be able to produce anything other than "mini-sounds". :D

No need to seek pardon :hyper: It's all good :D

12. Actually, have you played the cute little Ashdown, or are you simply speculating? I've just checked it's specs and configuration out at http://www.ashdownmusic.co.uk/bass/detail.asp?ID=144 , and I reckon it looks kinda cool :D

I'm sure your 330w Eden rig would be louder, but I'm not sure it'd melt it :D

13. But it would at least warm the li' guy. ;) Alright, seeing as how we're going to turn this into one of them 'nice' threads & all, I confess: I am totally speculating. I've never even heard an Ashdown rig, small, large or ridiculous-size. I guess my rationale for posting all smart-arse know-it-all-like was that I've bought stuff on a whim that 'looked cool' & did not do what I expected. In my defense, I'm not criticizing tone, but rather volume & the potential lack thereof.
    Basscase528, if you try one of these guys & like it, sweet! But I could have benefitted(so many times)from dropping the atitude of, 'I'm going to buy that*insert dream piece of gear here*& find out if I like it- reversing those two would do much better! Just trying to help a brother avoid a detour on the way to finding 'the sound'....
    :D

14. Yeah, I'm only speculating also - I haven't played the Ashdown perfect 10 mini rig, but it sure looks sweet.

I'm a bit of an Ashdown fan, and own a few of their products.

Although it's *only* 65w, with two 10" cabs and my experience with "Ashdown watts" I'd be confident in saying I reckon the volume, and tone would be very nice out of this rig.

Sure, it's not going to be a big gig rig ;) But for home, practice use and maybe very small gigs or fairly laid back rehearsals I'd say it'd probably be great. Having said that, Ashdown themselves say....

They then go on to say it could hold it's own in small gigs.

With my experience in Ashdown products so far, I'd be inclined to believe them.

;)

...actually after all this talk - I think I'm starting to feel a little GAS!

:hyper:

15. basscase528

basscase528

Oct 24, 2005
    London UK
    Yeah...I guess no body has tried them. I have to confess that I wanted to buy one bassed (awful pun intended) on looks cuz they're soooo cute and because I was quite impressed by the Electric Blue combo's sound. I asked because I'm inclined to share Bassteban's skepticism about things that sell based on the likelihood of something that is marketed because of its asthetics that functionally sucks. Bassicaly (har, har) I'm looking for something as a practice amp for my apartment that can also hold its own with a drummer for small gigs since my 350W 4x10 rig is way too much for my needs and vibrates my entrie floor much to my neighbors' chagrin. Also, having a headphone jack is important for me for this reason, which unfortunately the Electric Blue lacks.

So after extensive research I decided to go for the Fender Bassman 150. I thought it sounds a little better than the Ampeg BA-115, is quite a bit more versatile, has better features, and is a hell of a lot lighter. So that's where I think my final decision lies unless some awesome piece of vintage gear that suits my needs shows up in the next few days. So anybody with qualms about the new Fender Bassman 150, speak now or forever hold your peace.

16. Good luck with the Bassman. I haven't tried one, so I can't compare it to the Ashdown gear, but I've only read good things about the Bassman series.

;)

I'm still gassin' for a P10 Mini Rig now though!

:help:

17. jessebooth

jessebooth

Mar 6, 2006
    Ive just orderd one of those mini rigs, i cant find any info about em cos no-one seems to have one yet, but knowing the ashdown stuff and considering the price, i thought id take a chance. Its just really for practice at home an who knows if its loud enough it mite make it out of the bedroom! Ill let you know how i get on.

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Good news! I look forward to hearing how you like it. :)