1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown perfect ten vs Ampeg BA112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by billoetjen, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Considering between an Ampeg BA112 (China, probably) and an Ashdown Perfect Ten. Both are used; likely to be good to better condition. Any advice born of direct experience? Versatility? Reliability? Tone? I've played through several BA112's and was impressed (way more than by the newest series of Ampeg combos. Never seen or heard the Ashdown. Must decide tomorrow.
    clean voicing is important as I'll be using a VT Bass.
    Thanks.

2. bump

3. mo bump

4. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I've never played through the Ashdown, but I do have the BA112 as a small combo/practice amp. I think the Ampeg sounds really good. There are a good amount of EQ'ing options with this combo, and it seems to be fairly well made for the price. I tried out several other amps (Line 6 studio 110, Acoustic 110 and 112 combos) but the BA112 had the best overall tone.

The tiltback feature with the top mounted controls is also very nice. I wish it had a touch more power as it requires full volume in order to almost keep up with a drummer and a guitarist. But for small coffee house gigs and low volume practicing it's tough to beat. Although I have considered selling mine since I have only used it a handful of times since I purchased it new in January, as my 210 cab can provide much more volume...the BA112 is just so much easier to carry around.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Same boat here, never played the Ashdown, love the little BA112.

6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I used the Ashdown Perfect Ten for this vid - great little amp

It's set "flat" in the video

7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I have the BA112 ... I use it for acoustic combo work (small venue) with my electric bass guitars, acoustic bass guitars, and my acoustic upright bass. I'd like a little more power, and have considered the BA115, but I like the size and weight of the BA112.

8. That sounds incredibly good! I've been thinking of getting a GK MB150e - people rave about it as THE classic micro amp - but to me it sounds really a bit flat and middy. Hearing recordings of this and the promethean are making me rethink.

9. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    +1

That Perfect 10 sounds great in the video.

The Promethean was my first choice for a lightweight combo amp, but the price caused me to go for a less expensive combo.