Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vorago, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    A friend of mine (and pupil) came to me today with his amp and asked if I knew what was wrong with it.

-It's an Ashdown Electric Blue 150 combo.
    -Unplugged and plugged it gives a hum (not very loud, but not a "normal" hiss or pup interference either), that doesn't change if you turn the knobs (ie it doesn't get louder if you turn the volume knob). When you play the bass you hear a very silent amplification, but nothing more than that.
    -He didn't blew the amp, it worked perfectly one day and a couple of days later it gave this hum. He also told me that the amp had been moved by people without his supervision. They told him that nothing happened to it, but I doubt that they would tell him that it fell after he told to them that it was broke.
    -I took of the grill and had a look at the speakercone, which wasn't ripped.

My guess is something happened to it during transportation.

What's your guess?

2. Therapy

Therapy

Oct 2, 2005
    New Hampshire
    I don't have an answer, but I have an Ashdown Electric Blue 180 which is also acting up.

It periodically fades out completely for a minute or two -- very unpredictable. It will go for two or three sessions without a problem and then act up every 10 minutes or so for the next one. Also, yesterday the direct out quit -- it now just puts out low-level noise.

I've just posted this on Ashdown's tech support site. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Where are the Ashdown headz here?

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Another bump here

6. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i have an abm500. the same thing happened to mine. i took it n2 the shop and they replaced the input and a preamp tube. just take it 2 the shop and get it fixxed. if you bought it new, its probably under warrenty.

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanks for the reply dude :)

How much did you pay for it?

It was used btw, so no warrenty there :meh:

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Electric blue doesn't have a tube in it so it's not that, could it be something to do with the earth in the amp, you getting that 50 cycle hum?

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My first Electric Blue 130 combo lasted abour 1 week. Afetr the first few days I noticed that it would start to distort afte about 20 mins of playing. If you left it, it would cool down and play OK. I guess as it hated up something happened inside....

Got it swapped by the store where I got it no probs - it was only a week old. no idea what was wrong! Next one I got has lasted my almost 5 years now!

10. Therapy

Therapy

Oct 2, 2005
    New Hampshire
    After I posted my issues on Ashdown's tech support site they contacted me from England and arranged for warranty repair at a shop about 20 miles from my home. It's still in the shop so I'll update when I get it back, but so far I'm impressed with their support.

In the meantime I went out and bought a Gallien Krueger 210 300W amp today -- much more punch, even on the low B.

11. sjoakes

sjoakes

Nov 25, 2002
    saint paul, mn
    I'm currently experiencing what the original poster described, only with my ABM EVO I 500.

As soon as the power is turned on a buzz comes through the speakers and no knob or button (even the mute) seems to affect it.

The preamp appears to be functioning normally, an expected signal registers on the VU meter, however only a faint volume level comes through the speakers (which is still overpowered by the buzz).

Very strange...I'm hoping to find someone local to check it out. I'll post over on the Ashdown site and see if they can help me out...

12. telemaster1952

telemaster1952

Oct 18, 2005
    theres you problem

its an ashdown

13. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Just for a little contrast, I have an EB 12-130 and the thing has been rock solid through a lot of rehearsals and small-venue gigs. It isn't going to blow a lot of high end gear away, but the amp has been very reliable.

14. SuperSonic!!!

SuperSonic!!!

Oct 26, 2005
    YORKSHIRE
    i have that exact amp. there is a built in fan at the back, and as soon as you turn it on you can hear the fan.this might be it.

15. sjoakes

sjoakes

Nov 25, 2002
    saint paul, mn
    Hi-

Not sure if you're responding to my issue, but the problem I am trying to describe is definitely not fan noise.

What I am experiencing is an overpowering buzz that was not present in the last 12 months I have owned & used this amp, and in conjuction with that buzz is a drastic drop in the actual bass signal coming through the amp. As a matter of fact, the bass signal is barely audible, even with the volume cranked...

I've attempted your typical troubleshooting methods -different cables, different speakers, different outlet...all with the same results. Checked all the fuses, everything appears to be intact.

It's been 24 hrs. since contacting Ashdown via their website and no response thus far...

Steve

16. sjoakes

sjoakes

Nov 25, 2002
    saint paul, mn
    Just a followup regarding my Ashdown woes...

After a week's time, Ashdown's tech support responded to my email (I did get an email a few days prior from a US Ashdown rep telling me I could send the amp to an authorized repair shop a few states away...):
    ------ Forwarded Message
    Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:33:28 +0000
    To:
    Conversation: Technical Service Query from Website
    Subject: FW: Technical Service Query from Website

Hi Steve
    It is possibly something in the power section, to us it sounds possible that one or more of the solder joints on the 2 large capacitors has cracked. Do you want me to get you the details of your nearest repair centre or are you any good with a soldering iron? If you are ok with solder iron then any help you need let me know and we can walk through it.
    Regards
    Martin

However, I already brought it in to a reputable local repair shop (http://www.savageamps.com/) and they discovered a short in the input jack that was causing the buzzing and had to replace the jacks.

17. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    I had the same very low volume/ hum on my MAG300 when I dropped a hex key in my preamp when I had the cover off to replace tubes. It fried a cap or two on the IC board. I sent it off to them and they fixed it. Take the amp out and look for any black caps to see if this is your problem. Mine also smelled when it was on. I could have fixed it myself but it was under warrenty. Since yours is not if you know how to solder it should be an easy fix.