Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Q

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Squice, Apr 16, 2003.

1. I was wondering about one thing.. last night we were auditioning a new singer and just before he showed up our power amp blowed up.. so we couldn´t use our singer rig.. so took the chance of plugging the singer in my bass amp too. so here is the real deal. I have ABM500RC EVO wich has two inputs low/high, i play active bass so i´m using the low input and i plugged the singer in the high, so yesterday i were using the both input at once. is this ok, or is´t possible to damage something wile doing this. when the both input were used the input level meter nearly wasn´t moving so i couldn´t see if i was driving the amp too much..

2. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Hi Squince, I wish I knew for certain if it was OK for your rig. I have had a Ashdown ABM-500 for 2 years. My understanding of the sig input meter is that if its low like yours was reading you are sending a small sig to the pwr amp. I think that if it sounded OK it should be OK? I hope somebody with more knowlege can answer you. So, how did it sound? Did you have to turn up your output knob? What cabinet are you playing thru?

I just turned my ABM-C210H-500 combo into two pieces by cutting the top off. Now I have a seperate head and a 210 cabinet. It turned out great! I just had to say

Danny

3. it sounded ok. but i did have to turn the output up, usually at practice i just run the out at 3/10 but when i used the both inputs at once i had to push it up to 6/10, and the meter nearly wasn´t moving a bit, almost if it disabled, so thats why i am a little afraid of using it that way, so i desperatly need answers from someone who knows this becouse i have a practice tonight.

me best regards...

ps.. I´m just using for the moment Yorkville 2x10" 600w box, wich really isn´t bass cab, just meant for singing, but sounds great so it´s ok..

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Microphones tend to put out a much less powerful signal than instruments, so the main problem will be mixing the levels between them.

Do you have a mixer you could use to balance the two signals before feeding them into a single channel on your amp? I presume you probably do unless you were plugging the mic straight into the power amp before.

Nb. on my Ashdown head, Mag-250, it seems that you can't use both inputs at the same time (we once tried putting the keyboard through it but that resulted in neither signal getting through).

Wulf

5. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I've done it many times before on my Mag 400 and ABM 500... no problems (well keyboard and bass) ... we usually use a bass practice amp for the vocals when we practice... works out pretty good.

6. yes.. i have a mixer that i could use to balance it.. so thanx alot for your answers.

i have two basses Active/passive i tried once to plug them both in, i found that the active signal was cutted a little wile the passive signal boosted up, but the meter signal stayed the same..

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If you use the mixer to balance the inputs, I think the only problem you will face is that getting the amp to sound good for bass might take different settings to getting it to sound good for voice.

However, if it's only a temporary solution, that's not really an issue. Enjoy your rehearsal and get a new power amp asap.

Wulf