Ashdown Quality. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Awesome

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  2. Great

29 vote(s)
    47.5%
  3. Fair

12 vote(s)
    19.7%
  4. Blah

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. I'm about to purchase an Ashdown combo. I've done a lot of research on the reviews (harmonycentral), they've been mixed, but overall pretty good. So I figured I'd turn to the most awesome bass community for that little push over the edge. TALKBASS!

So what do you guys think? How would you rate the overall quality of Ashdown products? I'm buying the Mag 300 4x10 combo and I'm mostly playing heavier rock and occasionally a pop or funk/soul gig. Your thoughts? Quality, customer support, stability, TONE, and overall experience with the product. Thanks a ton.

2. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    I've got an ABM500RC-EVOII and it's been flawless.

3. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    My ABM head did blow up but my Mag stuff has been first rate. You should really consider adding another 410 or 210 to get the most out of your rig. The 410 alone is a bit mild.

4. enemybass

enemybass

Jan 3, 2008
    london
    Got an abm 500 evo and its been through hell n back and been great
    had one problem after 5 years of owning it where the power amp had a dodgy connection
    I took it back to ashdown and the guy put a whole new power section in my head while I waited and he didnt even charge me
    Ashdown amps sound great take a hammering and the customer service is the very best

5. RTL

RTL Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I've owned an ABM 500 EVO II, ABM 410T, ABM 210T, EB 180-15, and a Perfect Ten. Other than a blown speaker in the 410T, none of them gave me any grief.

This was a few years ago though. Can't speak for their current quality.

6. I gig with an AshDown MAG300H head through a G-K RBH410 cab and I love the tone. I've owned the head for almost 4 years with no problems yet.

7. zero0bass

zero0bass

Feb 5, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Got a MAG300 and I love the sound and power of it (its not the most giant behemoth, but it works for me). I had some trouble with the fan not ever coming on, but got that resolved. Was a 20 buck fix.

Also hairlined the circuitboard somehow (my fault) and the repair guy i took it to ended up resoldering every point on the board on both sides in an effort to find it. Talk about your dedicated repair guy. Didn't even charge me because it took so long.

All in all though, fantastic for the price.

8. Sweet, I've got a 1x15 cab I'll be pairing it with. Thanks for all the help.

9. I'll vouch for their quality too. had my ABM 500 EVO II about two years now, and an ABM 410 and 115 compact. They're awesome. No problems ever.

10. pendergasta

pendergasta .- .- .-. --- -. / .--. . -. -.. . .-. --. .- ...

Jan 7, 2008
    North Carolina
    Great, strong sound, great clarity. Combos are real good. I had a Mag300 2x10 combo. I still regret selling the thing.

11. heavyhitter

heavyhitter

Jan 24, 2008
    My only experiece is with MAG heads and ABM cabs. Both have been positive.

As with most brands though Ashdown has $150 practice amps to multi-thousand dollar amps so somones opinion of a cheap "after eight" combo might be much different compared to a Klystron tube head for example. :ninja:

12. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I've got an ABM 500 evo II... love it to death, no problems of any kind yet. For me it was the tone and the EQ layout that really sold me. If you dig enough you will hear lots of reports of amps that blew up or otherwise died one way or another, and these made me nervous at first... from what i gather was a production run of bad amps from the UK that were blowing up, this may have been one of the reasons they initially moved production overseas. And then, apparently the very first batch of chinese made ashdowns had problems running on american electrical current, which prompted all sorts of complaints from people saying the quality went to hell when they outsourced the manufacturing, when in fact it was the result of specific problem with one production run. Since ironing out that initial issue, quality seems to be better than ever. For the record, this is just conjecture, stuff i gleaned from reading tons of posts here, and from some correspondence with Ashdown. Can't readily verify that it's the gods-honest truth.

But that's what extended warranties are for, IME. Frankly I love my ashdown... if anything happened to it, even if it were out of the extended warranty i purchased, i'd buy another in a heartbeat.

13. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I thought they were building stuff in the states now? What's up with that?

14. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    I have a Mag300 2x10. Got it used a couple of months ago. Very warm tone, rehearsed with it for the first time tonight and was pleased. No need to hook up the 1x15 cab unless we play out. My VU meter doesn't seem to work though. Anyone had that same problem?

15. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    just the upper end line of amps and cabs. basically it looks like they did away with their british built Klystron series and replaced it with comparable US series (haven't seen em for sale yet though, and they're introducing a 400 watt all tube head too...).

16. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Most of the Ashdowns round here (where they originally come from) are fairly reliable and sound much like any other amp of this sort of design.
    We will await the all tube Ashdowns and see what gives there.
    :D

17. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Ashdown gear is great IME. I have owned and used both MAG
    and ABM gear in the past with excellent results, and my MK500
    is my favourite amp to date, simply a fantastic head IMO.

18. jesso

jesso

May 30, 2008
    A bit heavy (weight wise) though am I right?
    Friend of mine had one of the small 210 combos, sounded good for the rock music they were playing, but a very heavy little beast, specially compared to my markbass.

19. heavyhitter

heavyhitter

Jan 24, 2008
    Yes, my ABM 210T's are @ 66lbs each, IMO that is heavy.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    In the 11 years of playing through Ashdown ABGM500's, MK500's, ABM combo's,various cabs,The LG1000 and a MAG 15 combo I have never had a problem at all. The product has always come through for me.

And yes I happen to be an Ashdown artist.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021