Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ashdown question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Feb 15, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    will the ashdown abm 900 be a good amp to compliment my aguilar 210 and 212. the cabs are both 8 ohms. the 210 is 300watts and the 212 is 600. the ashdown has two outputs (stereo) both 4 ohms 575watts. is this the amp i want to get? or should i get soemthign different. im thinking run one cabinet per output of the amp. or shoudl i try to bridge them into one output. will the amp give enough juice for both cabs that way? thanks for the help.

2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have an Ashdown ABM500 EVO. It pushes 575W@4 Ohms. You can plug in both of your 8 ohm cabinets and take full advantage of its 575W power. That's what I do and it kicks major booty at 4 ohms.

The ABM900 model simply has two amplifier sections. IF you ran each 8 Ohm Cab in each channel of the ABM900, you'll only be using 8 ohm power into each 8 ohm cabinet.

My Cabinet is a Bergantino HT322. (4 ohm cabinet) My only problem with the Ashdown ABM500 EVO is that it wil not drive a second 4 ohm cabinet. That would give me a 2 Ohm Impedance. Every now and then I would like to run another cabinet, but my set up wiull not allow it where the ABM900 will allow two 4 ohm loads.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    so all in all i CAN get away with it. either way i do it, im good to go. thanks a lot.

4. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I don't think abm900 can be bridged :meh:

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    so if it cant be bridged, i cant run both cabs off of one input? i figured i could just beacause the total impedance would be 4 ohms (2 8ohm cabs). i guess i was wrong.

6. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    The ABM 900 has Two Power sections. (Like having two ABM500 Power sections) Each Power Section can drive down 4 ohm loads. So in essence, you could run two (8) cabs off one output section of the ABM 900 and the two more (8) ohm cabs off the other output section. Hope that helps clarify. Doesn't matter if it won't go down to 2 ohms in that regard. You don't need to.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I think you can run it having one cab off each output - and they'll each get a proportion of the available power ,or run them both off one output and they will both get a share of the full 575 watts. IF you run them both off one output, you could then later hook up another 2 8 ohm cabs onto the other output! :D

Alternatively, if you're only gonna use those 2 cabs (and don't want to lug anymore around) the ABM500 EVO is all that you'll need - it can delvier it's full 575 watts to your two cabs!

8. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    And those are real watts. My ABM 500 EVO at full chat for 2 hours is enough the leave me with a headache for 12 hours.

9. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    From what I've been told, the 575W rating at 4 ohms may be even conservative. All I can say is that I never get asked to turn up! Even outdoors when I'm playing with my classic Rock band.

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    well thats damn good. yea ill need headroom. but i dont want to turn up. so thats assuring.
    BUT
    does it mold well with distortion. i use a lot of it and i need it to go good with distortion. just as a curious thought though, do speaker cabinets play a part in how your tone sounds? like the way its made or the kind of speakers it uses etc.? thanks.

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Must admit I don't really use a lot of distortion. I've used the dostortion on the head (the drive from the pre-amp) along with the Sub-Harmoniser effect - and that is fun! I have an ODB-3....which is quite fizzy, but it works OK, and I have used my SansAmp BDDI on full drive and it handles that OK.....but I'm not sure that this really answers your question....best bet for oyu would be to try it with as close to your setup as possible!

As far as cabs go, I heard how my whole rig sounded in the store and loved it. At the time I had a Trace Elliot rig (my dream rig to be honest for a number of years) - AH500 with 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 cabs. This sounded great, but I had back issues and decided to down size. My new rig is almost 65kgs lighter!

Anyway, the new Mini 48 and Mini 15 cabs sounded every bit as my Trace Elliot cabs (not bad considering the 4 x 10 was replaced with a 4 x 8...).

The one thing I did notice was the warmth you could dial in with the Ashdown - which I found hard get on the Trace. That and the Sub-Harmoniser and I was sold. :)

I briefly had the Trace Head while I had the full Ashdown rig - I tried the Trace Head with the cabs, and it all sounded real good too!

12. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thanks JBB. yea ive been running a peavey head and sunn cab for almost 3 years. so maybe im used to hearing what i like to hear. its a good curve to have to play through different gear.

smash you have 3? what models are they? im guessing you like them, however what yoru saying is that they can get loud, but not as loud as rumored?

thanks guys

13. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i follow. thanks for that info.