Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sargent_duck, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Ashdown Mag: 400 watt 4 x 10 combo

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Ashdown Mag: 250 watt 2 x 10 combo and a 1 x 15 under it

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Half stack Mag: 400 watt Head with 4 x 10 cab

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. sargent_duck

sargent_duck Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Ireland
    Finally I have the money to buy my new amp and i have at least narrowed it down to ashdown, now if this worked there should be a poll at the top and I would aprecate any comments or suggestions on my choices.
    Thanks

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Could you give us some more information? Any of those setups could be good (as well as a stack of stuff from other manufacturers).

What kind of music are you making? What kind of sound do you want to produce? How much weight are you willing to carry?

FWIW, I use a Mag-250 head and ABM Mini 1x15 cab, which works well for me, although not quite as easily portable as I'd like (fine when I can drive to the venue...)

Wulf

3. I'd go for the stack.

Why ?

Volume , that's why.

4. sargent_duck

sargent_duck Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Ireland
    I play in your basic rock band, chilis, thin lizzy that kinda stuff, I was wondering if its worth buying a half stack when the combo is the same specs?? like I could save a bit of money and space is a bit of issue in the trailer that we bring the gear in.

5. I would definately go for separate head and cab.

The Mag 400 head is 500 watts RMS, while the Mag c410T combo is only 200w RMS.
    Morover, the mag 400 head is really good for the price, so you could pair it with a better and more powerful cab than the mag 410 (now or in the future). For instance, you can get an Ashdown ABM 410h for just above £500 ()

Hope this helps!!

Luca

6. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    another vote for the 250... i have one, and its really good.. I use it with a 4x10 normally, but have a 1x15 aswell...

DC :)

7. I'd go for a Mag 400 Head, 4 x 10 mag cab and 1 x 15 mag cab. I did and am mostly very pleased. A bit disappointed that the speakers are made in Italy though. I'm actually now thinking of going for a full Marshall stack, VBA head and 2 4 x 12 cabs.
    But Ashdown are very good

Stu

8. Is that English pride??:D

The Musicman Audiophile cabs were made in Italy as well, and everybody found them great!!

Ciao

Luca

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I voted half stack! You can expand on it later, and depending on what you get, you can pick and choose between your cabs!

Depends what your future plans are!

10. lucfor:

No it's not really English pride...honest although I admit it may seem like it. But I really thought that my rig was totally British and I just wanted something not made in the USA, or anywhere else for that matter, I wanted Trace Elliott originally but Gibson bought them out and shut down the UK factory where it all started, and the Ashdown guys were part of the Trace Elliott set up.. Hope I haven;t started something here didn't mean to...:D

11. Don't worry, actually....I live in London and I am going to buy an Ashdown cabinet soon...:D

But what kind of Italian am I? :eek:

Ciao

Luca

12. sargent_duck

sargent_duck Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Ireland
    Im not sure if the specs at www.ashdownmusic.com are up to date because I went to my local music shop and got the ashdown broucher and it says both the mag head and 4x10 combo are the same both are 250 watt RMS and 500 peak???? can anyone shed some light.

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Well, if it's the MAG250 head that you are comparing to the MAG C410T-250 then yes, they both are effectively the same amp - just the combo has a built in speaker cabinet!

14. sargent_duck

sargent_duck Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Ireland
    Yeah I think the Mag 400 has beed discontinued, sorry about the mix up and thanks for the advise. I think I might have to leave it to the gods on my decision and filp a coin.
    Thanks anyway folks
    Niall

15. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Can you try your proposed combinations or are you having to order them unheard?

Wulf