Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Quick Question!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by red-hot-bassist, Feb 1, 2005.

1. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    Hey Guys!

im hoping you guys can help me out this morning.

ive just purchased my first head and cab! been dying to do it and now ive done it!

my ashdown mag300 and 4x10 arrived yesterday but im having a bit of a problem. so im hoping maybe someone here can shed some light on the situation before i phone the shop - as im sure its just me being daft!!

i can get any sound at all to come out of the cab. not even a wee hum.

im sure ive got it set up right but who knows.

i have a control cable going from the speaker into the head and this is the only connection between the two. is this enough? there are only two points on the back of the speaker, one for the cable and the other which looks like a di style cable.

any help or pointers would be appreciated so much!!!

xxx

2. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Control cable? Are you plugging the cab into the speaker output on the head?

Oh and the ever obvious - does it have a mute switch? (I spent 2 hours with a Trace Elliot combo due to this :D)

3. RichBowman

RichBowman

Jan 15, 2004
    Cambridge, UK.
    Hi,

You've got (as far as I can remember with my MAG Stuff) two 'normal' 1/4 inch jacks and a speakon connector at the back of the cab. Sounds like you've got it set up okay (as long as the cable is going from the jack on the back of the cabinet to the jack on the the back of the head [there should be two side by side]). There's no mute on the MAG head.

What I normally do is connect it up, turn it on (normally there's a little 'thud' sound when you do) turn up the treble knobs and then adjust the gain knobs (if in doubt, turn all the knobs up to full, it won't hurt the amp) and listen for hissing noise from the cab. If tehre's absolutley nothing, I'd try with a different cable between the head and the cab. Also, are you using a proper speaker cable? Most people don't recommend using a 'normal' instrument cable for this purpose!

Let us know how you get on?

Rich

4. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    Also, make sure your cable between your bass and amp is good. Check the VU meter to see if you are getting a signal going into the amp at all.

5. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    hey guys thanks for the replies

it seems as though i do have it set up okay but there is nothing at all getting through.

the guage isnt moving at all and no hum or hissing is to be heard.

ive tried it with both control cables and leads but to no avail.

a very small 5ft female is goana have to talk real nice to her da to give her another lift with it back to the shop :rolleyes:

its goana be checked and changed tomoro though

so wish me luck on that one

and thanks again guys!!

Lins

6. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    Cool.. hope you get it sorted!

7. RichBowman

RichBowman

Jan 15, 2004
    Cambridge, UK.
    Good luck, they're cracking amps. Liked my MAG head so much I ended up getting the ABM!

Rich

8. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I've certainly had to do that a few times!! However, check everything just to avoid possible embarressment in your local sound control.

9. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    hey guys thanks again for all the help yesterday!!

n'joy - was very worried about turning up like a wee dafty but it turns out there is summat wrong with the head.

so now im back home with a new one and absolutely loving it!!

cheers bhoys!!

;)