Ashdown reliability?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mcbassdude, Jan 6, 2004.

1. This question is for Ashdown amp users. I recently purchased an ABM500/115 combo. It came damaged, the mid trim pot was bent and it is distorting. The supplier has offered to give me my money back or give me some cash back to have it fixed (about 15% of the cost of the unit), they have no others to replace the one I purchased.
    I called Bass Alone in San Diego as they are listed on the Ashdown site as an auth dealer/repair, however BassAlone sez' they are no longer carrying Ashdown as they have a high failure rate and too many repairs.
    This of course has troubled me. I'm taking the amp to Pro Sound in San DIego and have it evaluated for repair (this will cost me $35.00) but now I'm not sure if I should get it fixed if it's gonna have problems in the future.
    What are your experience's with Ashdown gear and it's reliability?
    Ashdown has offered to send me a replacement pot, but do not want to pay to have it fixed as the damage most likely occured in shipping. I could hit up UPS but I've heard UPS claims are a nightmare to deal with.
    What to do, What to do....
    Your input is appreciated
  2. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I have had good luck with my ABM 300 EVO head and cabs. I have been using this rig weekly for over a year now with no issues. I heard rumours of problems with the 1st generation stuff, but nothing lately. I would probably get it fixed then go from there. Lots of bad stuff can happen to an amp when it is shipped. It's the main reason I won't buy an amp that I can't play through before I buy it.

Good luck!

3. Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    When I was looking for a new combo just recently I researched Ashdown extensively. One of the problems that seemed to pop up all over the web is the way Ashdown packages their amps for shipment. Apparently they only use one box to place their amps in with little to no protection on the inside. Apparently they use a very careful shipping company to get thier amps to the dealers but the problems usually arise when the dealer ships to your home. UPS and FED EX are the prefered shippers for these dealers and they are less than careful with thier items to say the least. So unless these products are shipped in super safe containers chances are the Ashdown products WILL arrive at your home damaged. I have no personal experience with this but this seems to be the common knowledge out there.
  4. my 2x10 combo with the evo 500 head arrived damaged from UPS after i bought it second hand and had it shipped. during shipping the transformer on the inside came loose (from falling off of a truck i'm sure). when this happened it pulled a few wires off of there connections when it shifted inside the head. i initially thought that i would get UPS to simply pay for the repair, but dealing with UPS was a nightmare. i eventually gave up on them and just repared it only needed tightened and soldered to be fixed.

that being said, i put casters on it and have gigged constantly over the past 2 years with it and it has done a great's been in and out of countless clubs and rehearsal halls and supplies a great tone night after night with daily use.

there are now even a few of the better sounding clubs here in hollywood that now have ashdown rigs as part of there permanent backline...
  5. I use an ABM900 and an ABM300, both original series, and a bunch of ABM cabs...never had a problem with any of them.
  6. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I've had a couple of speakers fail on me but the amps I've had are bulletproof.
  7. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    email martin at ashdown. he is always very helpful with me and extremely friendly. always replies within the day or the next day. he always has something useful to say.

(im having a blown horn fixed by them right now)
  8. Thanks for the input, I'm feeling a bit better about having it fixed and keeping it.
    It just really blows to have to repair something you've never played yet.
    Sounds like Ashdown is really responsible for the inadequate packing. The Musicians Foe sales guy said the same thing about Ashdown not packing the box correctly. It came in one box, two thin small sheets of bubble wrap that only covered the front of the amp, nothing on the top or bottom! Incredible. The box took a hit right where the face panel is.
    Wish me luck in getting it fixed correctly.
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good luck, man. I've had an Entwistle preamp for about a year and it's been totally trouble free.

Always take ANYTHING a dealer tells you about why he doesn't carry a particular line with a grain of salt. IME, most of these guys have many reasons for carrying stuff and it often has nothing to do with the gear itself! The guy you talked to doesn't carry new Ken Smith basses either. Ask him why, sometime. ;)
  10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Boogie, how do you like your preamp? I'm getting one next week. How has it been in a live situation for you?
  11. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003
    Hey emjazz what happened to the Read Custom Purity Preamp?! :)
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Great preamp. I don't use it much these days as my Walter Woods Ultra is just so darn light and sounds so good! But the Oxpre is very warm and sounds superb. Sounds great on gigs, very easy to dial in a killer sound.
  13. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    my ABM EVO 500 head has been problem free since I got it new about a year ago.
  14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey Gooseyard! Yeah, the Read Pre is incredible but I wanted something darker overall and not quite so accurate. It's basically like an Avalon U5 with tubes and eq capability. I've owned an Ashdown EVO500 in the past and it was the best sound that I've ever gotton. Now I'm going with the RPM-1 and my Crest ST2000. This gives me more possiblities as well like putting the full range signal to one cab and the low end through another. Fun with options!
  15. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I'e had an Ashdown ABM500 EVO Rack mount head for almost a year. I gig about 6x/Mo plus rehearsals. It has been 100% trouble free. Sounds great. Plays paht and old school, but also can get an awesome Modern Hi-fi tone when called upon. Note: the Sub Harmonizer is one of the best sounding I've heard! Truly outstanding!
  16. Well, Pro Sound in San Diego (great place, nice people)fixed the amp for me for $70.00 in four days. So I'm going to keep it and take the discount from MF. So I'll be paying $710.00 plus the repair for the EVO500/115. So a "new" Ashdown EVO for under 8 bills. I'm happy:)
    The tech at Pro Sound (Lenny) told me that Ashdown does have a real bad rap for packing the amps improperly.

I was disappointed that Martin at Ashdown wasn't willing to help with the repair as the blame could be placed on the said packaging. He did offer to send me the trim pot though to self install. Maybe I'll get to talk to someone at the NAMM if they are there.

I think i'll still put in a clainm to UPS and try to get the repair money back.

Wish me luck:)
  17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm in agreement with all of the above.