Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ashdown reviews opinions :help:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gingerfish, Dec 17, 2004.

1. I am looking to get an ashdown Mag 300 head and a ABM 2X10 cab and was just looking for peoples experiences and opinions with these or any similar cabs by ashdown, ive heard alot of good things but was just wondering if it was all good really? thanks

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Good head, Good Cab. Itll look great with the cab "on end" and the Amp on top.

The MAG's are essentially ABM's without the valve in the preamp. Sounds great, classic Ashdown tone.

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I have the exact same config, and it works great.
    Best bang for the buck, IMO.

Cheers,
    JL

4. so i almost have the money for this rig now so am just checkin that no one is gonna give me a good reason not to go through with this?

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ashdown equitment is great. and yes the best bang for the buck. great amazing sound and youll love it.

however, if you dont like twiddling with knobs or anything of that kind then its not for you. it takes paitience to get your sound on the amps. took me 3 months to get the sound i wanted out of my abm 900. i mean i loved every sound i had, but i wanted my sound and now i have it i wouldnt switch.

so yea great buy. go for it.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Speaks the truth. ME and Tayste and Nickthebassist all have similar Ashdown heads, we all set ours COMPLETELY differently, and we all sound great ;)

7. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    To add to these guys... Until I recently upgraded to other Ashdown stuff - I had the MAG250, and I used to mainly use it through the MAG410 Cab, but occasionally used it through an ABM 2x10, and it sounded great. :)

Edit: missed a bit of the sentence.... :rolleyes:

8. unrealrocks

unrealrocks

Jan 8, 2004
    Heh - I've got an Ashdown cab (ABM 4x10) and really like it, soon to be adding an Ashdown head as well :)

9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

agreed. ive probably got different setting than all three of them. and my amp isnt much different than anyone else who has abm styled amps and my sound is good and im sure theirs is too.

10. ibanezman200

ibanezman200

Jan 3, 2005
    birmingham
    Hey i use the mag 300 head and deep blue 410 cab the sound i find is prefect for the stuff i play and it always provides the sound i need at gigs

11. I've got the ABM 2x10 cab.

I drive it with an ABM head but as Toasted said the MAG range is essentially the ABM without the valve pre-amp, which I never use anyway, and it sounds fantastic, especially with the compact 15 cab as well. Awesome sound, and really portable too.

Ashdown gear is great value for money when you compare it to imported gear, although American stuff should be really cheap what with nearly 2 dollars to the £. Rip off Britain again I guess.

12. ibanezman200

ibanezman200

Jan 3, 2005
    birmingham
    hey agen, im thinking of buying another cab for my ashdown i have a deep blue 410 cab but im not sure if 2 get a 1x15 or 2x12 can som1 help plz

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I love my ashdown and recommend them to any one the mag's are great I've never played through one I didn't like.

I've not played through that particualr setup that your thinking about but I have tried a 400w mag 2x10 combo and it was brilliant if I hadn't have already had my abm I would have bought the mag.

P.S I either bypass the eq on mine or have everything slightly boosted about 1-2o'clock. I hardly ever use the tube.

I'd say get the 1x15 have a look at the new smaller cabs not the mini's but the inbetween ones they fit under normal sized cabs but aren't as high.

Hope this helps