Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Rip-off?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, Mar 31, 2003.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Has anyone checked out the Behringer site? They have this new BX3000T amp or something like that and it looks alot like some of the Ashdown heads. VU meter and all. Even the EQ.

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    They definitely had the Ashdown faceplate design in their minds, but I don't think it looks similar enough to qualify as a rip off.

3. That's probably on purpose. Otherwise they'd probably have to discontinue it, just like some of their consoles that looked too much like Mackies. That's what Behringer does--takes other companies' designs and builds them with the cheapest components possible. They have mics that look like those Earthworks ones too.
    [​IMG]

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Behringer was sued by Mackie about 4 years ago for copyright infringement. They lost. I don't think that's going to happen with Ashdown, however.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It was mentioned on another thread that Behringer has recently doubled their Research and Development costs - they bought a second photo copier...........

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hee Hee..."Dynamizer."

I think that was one of the giant robots I watched on Saturdays as a kid.....

7. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    if you compare that to an ashdown mag head, its very similar!

[​IMG]

DC :)

Edit: although you can't actually see it in this photo :rolleyes:

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Do notice the subharmoniz.. erm, "ultrabass" function, VU-meter, even the EQ knob layout is similar.

Definite Ashdown MAG rip-off, but hey, atleast they have copied a classy company.

Actually it says a lot about Ashdown, they have been in business only for few years and already Behringer chooses their head to imitate.

9. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    even the jack input/outputs are in exactly the same place and order...

DC :)