1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown rm220 Vs Ampeg b2r with a 1510 Asdown Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by George Palmer, Sep 11, 2018.

1. George Palmer

George Palmer

Sep 11, 2018
    Hello all, this is my first bass amp purchase. SO I have the choice to buy either an Ashdown rm220 with a 4x10 ashdown cab (£240) or an Ampeg b2r with a 1510 Asdown Cab (£200). I have heard the Ampeg B2r is superior to the rm220, my only worry is the size of a 1510 cab!! Is the difference in quality between heads enough to justify lugging such a huge cab around to gigs?

2. The RM220 is an awesome sounding head. However, I had the RM420 and I don't think it was loud enough in a band environment. I only used it at home but the master at 1 o´clock (just to practice at home...) I'm an Ashdown fan, but here I'd go with the Ampeg. Check out the size of the cab but I think it is taller than the 410 (but not wider).

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I love most Ampeg heads but I did not love that B2R at all. Having said that, it's not altogether horrible and it will definitely go louder than the RM 220, although you might find its volume capability adequate for your needs (hard to judge someone else's needs over the net). Output of the cabs should be in the same ballpark with each other.

pht2356 likes this.
  4. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Both Ashdown and Ampeg make better amps than the ones you listed. The RM220 is a nice sounding amp, but although it may produce 220 watts, it sure doesn't sound like it.

If you can afford it I would look into the Ashdown Rootmaster EVO series which sound great and get crazy loud or the Ampeg PF series. If you can't manage that budget wise then pick out whichever sounds better to you between the RM220 and B2R. Good luck.