Ashdown RPM-1 EVO II vs. Eden WP100 Navigator

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anastasio24, Nov 18, 2004.

1. anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    For those of you with experience with both of these preamps, which do you prefer? I have the Eden now but I am strongly considering moving to the Ashdown. I am playing a Modulus Quantum 5 into the pre. I play in a folk rock band that leans more towards the rock. I am looking for little more old school sound with my choice and I love tube when I can use it.

Any input is appreciated.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I haven't tried the Ashdown to compare, but as an Eden Nav user, I'd have some reservations against using the Nav for the types of music you stated as well as the bass you have.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Nav for me, but the Eden has a rock-n-roll "wooliness" to it where your music might seem better suited to a cleaner, purer sound. I also used to own a Modulus Quantum 6, and while its a great bass in the right applications, its far, far from being natural or organic sounding, its more of a crisp, high-end modern toned-bass.
  3. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    In your case, ya, the ashdown would work great. Ive owned both the rpm and the nav and I play a mod Q5. I sold the rpm to get the nav cos I wanted more of an aggressive and bright tone. To me the rpm was more of a tight thump but a lot of people like that and it sounds like what you describe.
    btw, a aguilar pre in the modulus will get you close too.
  4. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The Ashdown RPM-1 is really nice. Strong deep tone.
    I have used one for a while now with a QSC PLX power amp.

I am getting ready to sell mine (in case you were interested-PM if you are) mainly because I am going away from a rack rig to just using a single head because I am trying to simplify and lighten my gear :D

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I haven't spent quality time with the navigator but I think the Ashdown Pre rocks! Literally. Great sounding pre IMO