Ashdown RPM-1 preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've searched here and found very little info on these...can youse guys (and gals) that have used them please spill the beans on them? Good? Great? Bad? Flexible? "One tone only?"
    What's the deal!
    Thanks, Alan
  2. I've got one that I used for a while and it's a great rock & roll preamp that's warm and has a lot of control over tone and grind.

It looks really cool, and the meter and blue light are particularly sexy.

I stopped using it regularly because it sounds a bit harsh for some of the softer stuff I play, which sounds sweeter with the Kern or the Demeter.

I have it, in excellent condition, if anyone is interested.

3. anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    I recently aquired the Ashdown RPM1. I bought it used in mint condition. I replaced my Eden Navigator with the Ashdown right away. I let two friends try it out as well and they are in love with it. It is VERY warm sounding when dialed in right. I sounds huge without being boomy. I am guessing that is the reason Adam Clayton uses them on stage.

I have tried SWR, Eden, Ampeg and the ADA-MB1 for long periods and various Aguilar and Alembic pres in the store. For me personally, I feel the Ashdown is the best. Again, that is only my opinion and I am sure others will disagree with me.

It works beautifully with my Fender Jazz Special, Modulus Quantum 5 and my friends Warwick Thumb. It sounds great with finger style, pick and my friend is a slap machine and he loved it too.

I can't say enough about it though I can see where other people would want a less warm sound than I do.
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    That's interesting as the navigator is one of the other pre's I was contemplating. Can you compare and contast a little more?
  5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    This link may help you out.

I don't have the RPM pre per se, but I do have an ABM 500RC EVO amp and I love it. I play mostly Funk, R&B, and Jazz. I find the pre to be very versatile.
  6. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    +1 - Exactly what Jason said! I have an ABM500 EVO Rack mount, play Jazz, blues, Funk, some rock ...I get incredible clarity, but with a rich warmth on the lows that are not boomy. Very Nice. I believe the pre-amp in the ABM500 is the same as thje RPM-1. - Gary