Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown RPM-1 preamp???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jul 1, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

was wondering if anyone has any experience with this monster? how's it compare to our other compatriots like the Aguilar DB680, etc.?

[​IMG]

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    joker,

I've never tried either of the Aguilar preamps :( but I have tried the RPM1. This is how I feel. If I could just figure out a way to get the RPM1 and one of the Demeter pres, I'm out of the preamp market for long time! I just got an email regarding a potential deal on an RPM1. It's a good deal so it looks like I've got one of them taken care of. ;)

The RPM1 is more of a vintage sounding amp but it's versatile enough that you can get very good modern tones out of it as well. There's warmth, definition and when you kick that sub-harmoniser in, you can get all kinds of bottom out of it without it getting muddy. I like it and I'm glad that I finally found what I feel is my deal on one. :cool:

I'm sorry that I'm not as eloquent as you when it comes to describing these sort of things but I hope that it helps at least a little. Someone in your neck of the woods should have one in stock. Try it if you can. IMO, it definitely deserves a spin.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx Ebozz!

its all good. you dont wanna be as verbose as me. :rolleyes: ;) but seriously, once you get it tell us all about it!

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'll do my best. :D The dealer just placed the order for it today so I guess that it should arrive in about two weeks or less. That RPM1 is a unit that you just don't see a lot of used and when you do, it usually sells for a price not that far off from some of the best new prices that I've found. One down and one to go!

[​IMG]

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I recently scored one. It's the John Entwistle signature model, which is really just an RPM-1 with the Ox's signature on the front.

Anyway, it's fat, warm and pretty versatile due to the frequency sliders and cut/boost pots. You can also biamp with it, if you choose. WAY vintage sounding to me when compared to my Dem, Ag and even the Kern. It has a cool clean/grind knob that lets you dial in how much overdrive you want. And I find I have to back off the bass or it just overwhelms any cab! I've been using it a lot lately into a QSC 1602, mostly driving an Epifani T212.

6. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Anyway, it's fat, warm and pretty versatile due to the frequency sliders and cut/boost pots. You can also biamp with it, if you choose. WAY vintage sounding to me when compared to my Dem, Ag and even the Kern. It has a cool clean/grind knob that lets you dial in how much overdrive you want. And I find I have to back off the bass or it just overwhelms any cab! I've been using it a lot lately into a QSC 1602, mostly driving an Epifani T212.

I own an Ashdown ABM500 EVO and I have been singing its praises a lot lately. The Ashdown RPM-1 Preamp section appears to be identical to that of my Ashdown ABM500 EVO. The ABM500 EVO simply is a powered head. (575W @ 4ohms)

While I understand those who say the Ashdown pre's are way "Vintage" sounding, I attribute that to its inherent fatness and full bodied warmth. But I can get any sort of Modern and bright glassy tone that I need as well. I love the combination of deep, fat, Vintage full-bodied round ballzy booty coupled with some modern bright, glass like highs with mids that growl with a greasy, creamy goodness that reminds me of old fashioned homemade buttermilk biscuits and gravy laden with a richness that hardens your arteries with every mouth watering bite.

How am I doing so far Joker?

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool!

i'm actually trying to find a good dark, growly preamp to go with the Epifani 3x10 + 1x15 setup i plan to get next month. and i'm hopin' somethin' like the Ashdown would mate well with it.

if the Ashdown does work out, i'm thinking of letting my DB680 go.

again, thx for the input guys.

Roz,

hehe, my stomach's growlin' already. ;)

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    :D :D

9. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Got an RPM-1 EVO II today. WOW !! I've got an ABM EVO combo and the difference is incredible.

A few noticeable changes
    One input and a button to select high/low
    On/off on the grind control
    Silver finish

The 'grind' is now more obvious even on low inputs - you don't need to get the needle bouncing into the red to get a warm effect. I used to run the grind at about 2/3 before the effect became noticeable - now its apparent as soon as you kick it in.

More later after I've given it a good thrash !

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool, smiley cat!

keep us informed. btw, what bass, pickups, and cabs are you using it with? and what kind of music you rockin'?

11. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Heres a picture I posted earlier today from the mini rig thread

[​IMG]

Ok its a Warmoth Gecko, EMG pups (full build here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22979)

Running through a samson, korg tuner then into the RPM-1 then into a Matrix 1600 power amp. Cabs are also Ashdown min 4*8 and mini 15.

The power amp and cabs are split with the crossover in the preamp so the 15" is driven by anything under 130 Hz and the 8"s by anything over. I'll have a look at that tomorrow as I can adjust the level and the frequency of the filter.

Music tonight was punk, rock and ska (or skronk for short) but it will have to handle a range of basses including my EUB and types of music (from blues across to my theatre work) so it needs to be flexible.

First impressions are that they have really made some major improvements in tone from the EVO to the EVO II. The grind is much more noticeable (I only use it one one track) but its now got its own push switch so you can dial in the amount of warmth you want and easily flick it in or out.

Pet peave so far though. There is no input on the back so I've had to route a cable out to the front. Just a minor niggle..

I'll have a good tweak of it tomorrow and then book some studio time so I can really get a handle on what it can do.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    swweet rig, smiley cat!

man, cant wait to try one. btw, how much does the RPM weigh?

13. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Ashdown have it down on the website at 6kg - sorry I opened the box and it went straight into the rack and so I couldn't say if it weighed more or less than that.

Had a play with the crossover today and dialed in a bit more bass power with a crossover point of 75 hz. Dropped the top out and just had this big bottom end you could hardly hear but which shook everything of the shelves...