Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown RPM-1 sound clips at Basstasters

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vanselus, Oct 22, 2003.

1. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I know it's been a while. Sorry. It's been a busy, busy summer. Fresh off the fingers, and thanks again to our own David Wilson, the Ashdown RPM-1 preamp.

This is a GREAT box, give it a listen. My current #2 favorite to the Aguilar DB680. The Aggie beats the Ash for clarity, but just barely - the Ashdown has so much flexability and sound SO good recorded.

If you're short of time, try the Casady clips - the Casady just sounded beyond good into that preamp. I could have played it forever (but then David would be pissed).

Give it a listen, and let me know what you think! Highly recommended!

http://www.basstasters.com/

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    hey van, are the eq settings the same as in the pic? I have that pre and am having trouble getting highs out of it. Thanks for the info and the site!

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    True Dat! :D ;)

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dangit, Van!

you had to go and say that didnt ya! :mad:

and ***? when did Dave get the Ashdown? hmm... maybe its high time, i start checkin' out his gigs more often. ;)

awwwwwww, sookie...

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Any gear I order from the west coast seems to go via Todd in Seattle these days!

I ordered it used last month , always wanted to try one out. Apart from the great sound I'd heard about, I'm a sucker for the chrome finish and vu meter :)

I was on vacation for a bit, then out of town with work, so I just got it safe and sound in NY.
    I've only had a quick chance to play with it, but my Roscoe Beck 5 and Elrick sound awesome through it.

My thoughts so far: This thing can give the DB680 a serious run for the money, at roughly half the price used.

Amen to that!

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I just checked the sound files and the pic seems to be of the Entwhistle sig model. I've got the EVO II which has a few slight differences.

RPM-1 EVO II

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Even if you buy the Ashdown new it's about half the price or less than a new DB 680. When I was looking for mine I didn't run across too many used units.

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It is indeed the Entwhistle sig model. Are there any sonic differences between both models? From what I can tell, the major difference is that the sig model has high/low inputs whereas the EVOII has one input with a high/low switch.

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Dave,

I think that the guts are essentially the same but the EVO II allows you to be able to preset the amount of distortion that you want and control it with a footswitch. EQ in/out and the sub-harmoniser can also be controlled via footswitch and to my knowledge basiclally anything else is cosmetic only. I could be wrong but I think that's the difference.

Regardless, I'm loving this preamp! I feel even better about my choice based on the comparisons to the DB 680 that were posted in this thread. Never tried that Aggy but I'm home with what I have. I would still like to have one of those Demeters in my arsenal but if it doesn't happen it's cool.

Van and I had discussed my sending it in for him to test shortly after I got it but somehow we lost track of one another. By the time that we made contact again, I was having reservations about letting it go! :D It has grown on me but I'm glad that he got the chance to get one on his site. Sorry Van! ;)

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    sweet, man...i've really been digging the RPM preamps...i've been thinking about looking for a used entwistle model (wishful thinking, right? ;) )

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ebozzz

There's no doubt in my mind that the DB680 is a better preamp, but I think I will have to do some serious thinking about whether the differences between it and the RPM are worth the price differential to me.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    one of these days, we should get together Dave, and we can compare and contrast these 2 rack beaut's.

:bassist:

13. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    scary huh! :eek: the ashdown is so close to as good as the 680, but for the price?? the main difference to me is the clarity of the 680 and the depth of midrange. The ash is a bit smoother and thicker, but the aguilar delivers all that thickness with some serious punch too.

here's an interesting comparison i thought of:

demeter is to aguilar
    as
    aguilar is to ashdown

in other words, the demeter is the ultimate in clarity, articulation, and sheen, while the ashdown is fat fat fat but not vintagey thick like the kern or alembic (flame shield on).

The Aguilar still has my vote for being able to articulate fat tone (and that's tough).

Coming soon: Evidence Audio Lyric cable - WOW. You gotta try one of these. Seriously.

14. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hey man, no worries. I know how hard it is to give up gear, even for a little while. Especially when you don't know me from Adam.

The Demeter is NICE. Especially if you want everything crystal clear and squeaky clean.

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

It's ENTWISLE! NO ****ING 'H':mad:

Now have a nice day.:D

16. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    is the Ashdown a true tuber pre, or does it use the tube just for distortion?

17. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    But with a T, right? :D

18. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no problem. since I have both of them at the house right now, sitting in my bassment.
    With the A/B box, you could compare and contrast all you want. :)

19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Right.:D :oops: