1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Ashdown RPM-1 sound clips at Basstasters

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vanselus, Oct 22, 2003.

1. I just finished making my choice... between a new RPM EVO-II or a mint DB-680 with the footswitch included. The price in this case was identical. I chose the Aggie for exactly the reasons Vanselus mentioned... articulation, clarity and absolute midrange control.

If I were comparing both at "new" Canadian prices, the Ashdown would have fit my budget perfectly.

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    I was actually pretty comfortable with the idea of sending it your way shortly after I got it. We couldn't get the details worked then and by the time that we made contact again, I was hooked! :D

I've been able to try both of the Demeters thanks to Gary at GuitarX. Having his store in town has been a godsend. He's the type of guy that will try to bring in something if you're interested in it and if you at least give him the feeling that you're going to at least give it some serious consideration. Great dealer! I think that my man inazone would echo my sentiments regarding Gary.

If I could pull off obtaining one of the Demeters I feel that I would have two preamps on opposite ends of the spectrum. hard to imagine something that I couldn't handle with those two, good power and some quality cabs in the fold. Heck, it's hard to imagine anything that I couldn't do with just the RPM-1!

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Sorry about that Ox! ;)

4. Smash, I found the DB-680 on an Ebay crawl. I emailed the seller to see if it would be relisted after his auction closed below reserve, and he offered it directly for an excellent price.

Just in case you're asking about Ashdown, they are apparently in the process of coming into Canada directly (without a middleman). That should mean much lower pricing at some not-too-distant point, and will make Ashdown an excellent buy here. Current pricing is still quite high and limited to existing stock.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'd agree with what you wrote. If I hadn't been spoiled with the DB680 (the Swiss Army Preamp), the Ashdown would be right up there near the top (along with the Alembic, which is my favorite flat sound pre). But it's a smokin' preamp in it's own right, up there with the best of the pre's I've tried.

It has some seriously fat bottom end out of it, has good clarity in mid / high end but not as good clarity as the DB680. But this is all after playing in the bassment. Next gig is in two weeks, I'll take it along and give it a good tryout then.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ebozzz,
    the Entwistle has the same footswitches inputs on the back as shown on this diagram on the Ashdown site:

[​IMG]

So maybe the differences are purely cosmetic with the sig on the front and two inputs vs one?

7. I'm in full agreement. The Ashdown is an amazing preamp for the money. Unless you are fortunate enough to find a decent used DB680, the Ashdown is certainly one of the better choices.

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    This is the difference according to Harmony-central.com:

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Got the press release for the Entwistle model from harmony central

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Can you preset distortion with the E-N-T-W-I-S-T-L-E :D model the control the on/off via a footswitch? I think that's the main difference. Also, if I'm not mistaken the sig model is from the ABM series. That preset distortion thing is one of the upgrades with the EVO II.

11. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    ebozzz, ya Gary at guitarx is the man to see in the denver area. This town was hurting for a good store. Its nice to try things out without having to order things and wait a month to get it. To boot, he is a fair person to deal with. BTW, the ashdown has been working great!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021