Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown + Schroeder = ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrcircle, Nov 1, 2005.

1. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    Has anyone here paired their Schroeder cabs with an Ashdown ABM 500 (EVO or EVO II)? I've heard some good things about these amps, particularly paired with Bergantino cabs, but haven't heard of anyone using them with Schroeders.

I'm currently using a Kern/Crest CA6 with my Schroeder 1210/1212 "maxi-stack" :D (though I just take one or the other to most gigs) and love the fat, vintage tubeness of this combination, but the rack is heavy! It seems most people are running "cleaner" (less colored) heads like Thunderfunk, iAmp, etc., with their Schroeders, while the Ashdown seems to have a more colored, "thick" sound, at least from what I've read. I'm drawn to the Ashdown because it comes so highly recommended for the Bergies (I also own a Bergie EX/HT112 mini-stack, and am contemplating an NV610 or NV425 down the line), but am wondering how it would sound with the Schroeders, as they're my main gigging cabs at the moment. I mostly play classic pop/rock/r&b/soul with passive Ps and Js, and rarely slap. Any thoughts or opinions? (I know the Ashdown is only rated to 4 ohms, so I'd still use the rack rig on the rare occasions when I wanted to run both speakers together.)

BTW, there aren't any local dealers where I can try before buying, so your help is much appreciated. Thanks!

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I used my Ashdown with a Schroeder 1210 for a while. Sounded great! Drove it just fine (4 ohm cabinet). Plenty loud.

But then I bought the Bergie HT+EX instead -- sounds *great* with the Bergies and offer portability to boot.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The Ashdown should be capable of providing a similar thickness to what you get with the Kern Preamp, but with more tonal options available.

The power level should be fine as well.