Ashdown Service!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sammy Camden, Jan 24, 2002.

1. I have been searching for a combo amp to use for band practices that was around 100W, and under 40#.

I've been looking at Hartke Kickbacks, and even tried finding some of the GK Backlines. I used to own an SWR WM-10 and sold it because I couldn't get sounds out of it that I cared for.

Well, on my last visit to my local Sam Ash store, I discovered that they are closing out Ashdown. Not because of any problems, but simply because they aren't selling. I was offered an Electric Blue 12 for $230. I bought it. Sound is nice. Not as good as my Ampeg B-100R, but nice. And it's a whole lot lighter.

Well, the amp is missing one of the little buttons that goes on the front panel push switches. I email'd Ashdown about it to see what hoops I'd have to jump through and what it would cost. Much to my surprise, I received a return email informing me that the part was already on it's way to me and that they were sorry for it's falling off. That's service my friends. With a capital "S".

I'll have to look a little closer at Ashdown equipment. I've been a Ampeg devotee for years, but I can add other stuff too.

Just thought I'd pass this on. So many companies these days forget that the customer should be treated right. Read the thread over in the bass section on Ken Smith. Whew! What a mess.
  2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Does Sam Ash have any more at this price???

Thanks for the info....
  3. Whoa, Sammy man, you got the deal of the year! I just went to Sam Ash's site, and the Electiric Blues
    with the 12"er is still $479.00! You paid $230.00?
    That's less than half! Maybe you caught the begging of the closeout. How do you like the sound compared to the B100R? I have a B100R, and played through your Ashdown more than a few times, and really liked the sound. If I hadn't bought the Ampeg, I probably would've bought an Ashdown.
    In any case, good luck with it.

Mike J.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The box had never been opened before?
  5. Michael: As for the sound. No, I don't think it captures the vintage sound of a B-100R. It does have a nice sound though and should work real well for what I bought it for, band practice. It's also about 30#s lighter than the B-100R.

As for the deal. I have done a lot of business at that store and know the manager real well. He told me that they are just starting to clear them out so the prices should be coming down real soon. I simply got a jump on it. And yes, I know that it's a real good deal. I hadn't been looking at Ashdowns because they were initially out of my price bracket for a practice amp. At this price, it suddenly fell within and was to good a deal to pass up.

John: As for the quality control. I can't really speak. I do know that knobs, buttons, and all sorts of small parts of amps and guitars constantly get stolen from off of the store floor. Maybe that's what happened. Or maybe it got past Ashdown's QC. As long as they stand by it, it's not really a problem as I see it.

I'm happy with the deal, the amp, and Ashdown's service.
  7. Mike: You could be right about the solid, heavy construction. The 15" speaker in the B-100R vs the 12" in the Electric Blue 12 could also be a factor.

All I know a this point is, for practice, the EB12 will be the amp I grab. For small gigs, the B-100R will be the amp (yes, I have both). For the larger gigs I have my SVT and Firebass heads.