Ashdown Settings...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soonershane, Jan 21, 2005.

1. soonershane

Jan 21, 2005
    I was wondering if you guys might be able to help me. I just acquired a new Ashdown rig and since I have been playing through an old Intersound IVP preamp and 2x15 rig for so long, I'm not sure where to start with my new stuff!! I'm looking for a really nice jazzy tone with a little more treble that can cut through and have a nice melodic sound to it. Now I know that no one can tell you "the sound" that you are looking for, but I was hoping that you guys might be able to help me get a good start! The head that I am using is an Ashdown MAG300H running through a MAG 410T (UK made). Thanks!!
  2. bass: 12 oclock, Bass-mid:2oclock, mids:3oclock, treble-mids:2oclock, treble: half, but set as you like if u wanna cut through.
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Everything flat, "bright" and "deep" turned off and "subharmoniser" not enabled. Adjust the preamp volume so that you're not peaking into the red area all the time and adjust the master volume to taste.

That's the raw sound of your amp - it might then be worth spending some time adjusting controls on your bass and the way you play it before returning to play with the amp controls. You can try radical adjustments to hear what each knob does but more subtle adjustments will probably yield a better end result.

4. My old settings on my MAG300H before i upgraded to ABM was:

Just like Nickthebassist settings except as i play fingerstyle and needed more clarity and punch ( not treble ) i turned the 1.6 ( or is it 2khz ?? ) up full and this made things sparkle.

Will depend on many things, style , bass, passive or active, strings etc etc.

Good sounding amp, here is a tip to help:

I blew up my MAG 300 twice by doing this, plugging second bass cab to amp while amp was on( you know the thiing, compare cabs etc etc ) and both times it sparked and blew the power amp stage to hell and back.So never plug in the bass cab while amp is switched on !!

Good luck
  5. soonershane

Jan 21, 2005
    Wow, thanks for all the great replies, especially from England!! I am playing a USA Fender Jazz. Finger style (jazzy), with passive pickups. I kind of have a light touch. What about the bright and bass buttons? I'm really enjoying the Ashdown sound, it goes really well with the two Vox AC15's that the guitarists use! Thanks guys for the advice! Keep it coming!
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Are they "bright" and "bass"? I thought it was "bright" and "deep" but it's a while since I actually read the fine print on the front of my Mag head ;)

They're both preset EQ settings. Practising at home, I often leave "bright" on, which give a little more presence and clarity to the sound but switch "deep" off (respecting the neighbours!). Out on a gig or at a louder rehearsal, it depends on the room; sometimes the "deep" button is just what's needed to make the sound a bit fuller.

However, it's all about listening and figuring out what works with your gear, your style and your context! Happy experimenting!

7. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Excellent advice... I know we're all probably guilty of it from time to time, (I know I am anyway)...

Wulf's advice for setting the tone is right on the mark for this, or really any, amp... There is an EQ In/Out button, and with the controls set totally flat, I can hear a difference... Not much, (I doubt you'd notice in a live situation), but a totally flat eq is still 'there'... With the MAG300, well, as Martha says, "That's a good thing" :D

I find the EQ nicely voiced to my playing style and basses, and for me anyway, it's kind of a 'set and forget' thing...

Bass ==> 2 o'clock
    Lo-Mid ==> 2 or 3 o'clock
    Mid ==> 10 o'clock
    Hi-Mid ==> 1 or 2 o'clock
    Treble ==> 2 or 3 o'clock

If I need more treble, the Bright button adds highs without being overbearing... I play in an eleven piece band with a horn section and this setting sits well in the mix. Remember, the DI is post EQ, so any tone settings that you change on the fly go straight to the house and can cause your sound guy to give you the 'stink-eye' :)