Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown "Sub Out" ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fender58, Apr 12, 2003.

1. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I have been wanting to put this sub out jack to use since I got my ABMC210H-500 a few years ago. Are there any Ashdown lovers out there that use this low low output option? I would like to know what powered sub woofer people have found to utilize this output, if anyone has. I know Ashdown discontinued there sub long ago. To bad, perhaps? Why do they still put it on there heads? Thanks everyone for any info.
    Danny

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The sub out allows you to biamp.
    EBS makes a fantastic powered sub.

3. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Thanks Jazz Ad. I looked at their web site and they make the AC310,311 and 315. The 315 is just bottom end, rated 50hz to 3k I think it was, where the other two have more top. (Tweeters and horns) I think they were saying that it puts out about 350 watts.
    Do you know what the prices are like in US dollars? They are a Swedish company. Thanks again.
    Danny

4. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Hey Jazz AD. Do you have a Ashdown system...wait ...I looked at your profile first...nice rig you have. (I just got my first fretless, a Fender, and am falling in love...)
    So could I use that output to run another amplifier? I have a older Trace amp. with a EQ that I could set to the looow side. Thanks again, Danny

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

You could easily use your older amp with a sub cab, something like a 1x15 or 1x18.
    I've played Ashdown amps (and several others :)).
    I downsized my rig to 2 active PA cabs.
    Simple and versatile, many ways to use it.
    For an added boom boom factor, I plan to add an active sub to my rig.
    EBS is what I'm aiming toward for now.
    They really are great and can be used either as a sub or a stand alone amp.

6. HotRatz

HotRatz Guest

Mar 13, 2003
    Portland, OR
    hey y'all, my question for the thread is this:

does the Sub Out on ABMs function as a real biamp jack, i.e. when you plug something into it, frequencies below 160 hz (the fixed point of the Sub Out) are REMOVED from whatever other cab you have plugged in? Y'know, does it perform a crossover function, or does it just provide a duplicate pipeline for all the sound below 160 hz? Considering Ashdown's love of fat bass, I could envision either scenario being true.... thanx ya'll!

:bassist:

7. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    From the AMB Operating Instructions:
    Sub Out (ABM Only)
    This output socket provides a low pass filterd output for connections to the ashdown 500 watt 1x15 powerd sub unit for additional extra low bottom end. This may also be used to drive other power amplifiers to provide additional low bottom end to the system. The low pass filter is fixed at 160hz.

N.B. The Ashdown 500 watt powerd sub unit can also be used with other systems as it has it's own active low pass filter already built in.

8. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I've used the sub out a couple of times - I fed it into a slave amp and used that to power my ashdown 15" cab.

You do appear to get the sub 160 hz through the primary amp aswell. So for HotRatz its a duplicate (although I stand to be corrected on this point)

The reason Ashdown gave me for discontinuing the powered sub was that they had complaints from bass players that it was too quiet and they had to remove the filter in the powered sub so it was pretty pointless. They tried to find enough bits to build me one though as they are really nice guys.