1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown Superfly - Anyone else's overheating?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andysalt01, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Andysalt01

Andysalt01

Apr 21, 2006
    London
    Hello.

I own and Ashdown Superfly. I posted a few bits on the superfly a while ago in another forum and have been away for a while since. Having come back I purchased the Superfly 4x8Cab to compliment it to get max power with limited equipment.

Anyway, i ran it out last night at a rehearsal and it blew away the drums and guitartist :smug:.........for the first hour. After this, it kept clipping - pretty heavily - at what i considered pretty low volume (about 3/4 gain and volume). turning it right doiwn solved the problem, but left me drowned out by everyone else :crying:

I know these run pretty hot, so i stuck a fan on it to assist it's cooling as soon as I had a problem and 2 mins later, and for the rest of the rehearsal there was no problem with it.

Has anyone else experienced this with the head? I play gigs upto and over 3/4 hours on occassion and dont want to have to lug a fan with me everywhere to ensure this doesnt happen!

Figured I'd check if anyone had had similar experiences here as I've found Ashdowns customer service to be lame, and in some cases non-existant.

I really love this set up, and if anyone can suggest ways to get round it it would be useful. Next time, I'm giving it a lot more clearance from the cab for better ventilation underneath.

Cheers!

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I took the aluminum side plates off mine (which reduced its weight by half) rack-mounted it and fan cooled it and it never gets warm. If the aluminum sides were properly finned to act as heat sinks it would work far better, and be much lighter, but as they did it those plates don't shed heat, they retain it. IMO the solid side plates constitute a serious design flaw.

3. Andysalt01

Andysalt01

Apr 21, 2006
    London
    Thanks Bill, that sounds like a really good way forward. I dont suppose you have a picture you can post of your set up?

My knowledge of rack mounting is pretty much non-existant - can you get a rack mount fan? or do you simply stick a fan behind it?

Thanks again!

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Mine's in a SKB 2 space case, with a 3 inch computer fan inside for cooling. The amp comes with the required mounting hardware.