1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown Superfly

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The_D, Jul 20, 2007.

1. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Is this as good a deal as it looks or is there a reason for the price slash?

http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1....12.1.1/pages/index.php?sku=1.1.2.3.2-1-15694

I came into a little extra money last week and the biggest dissapointment for me with my current setup is my feeble head unit. I decided to have a look through Sound Control (even though they are like our version of GC from what I can gather) and this just jumped right out at me.

Do they suck? Is that why the price has been gutted?

2. End-of-line megadeal before the new model comes out.

They're not rubbish, but there have been a few QC issues - run a search for "Superfly" around here & you'll soon hit it (it's also been discussed at length over on the Basschat.co.uk forum). Even if you did hit a rough one, it's still be covered by the warranty & you'd get a free fix or replacement.

Other points to consider...

They're not bridgeable, nor are they stereo. To get the most out of 'em you need to run each side into a 4 Ohm load (that said I run mine into a pair of 8s & it's plenty loud enough) - seems quite happy just powering one cab as well.

The MIDI presets run from 00 to 99 continuously - no Bank/Preset arrangement like normal people would fit, so you'd need a 10-way controller to get the most out of this. Presets 00-09 are factory settings & cannot be overwritten.

It's a light beastie & can easily form part of a mini-rig-of-doom-wot-you-can-get-on-the-bus, and comes with a rack-mounting kit should you feel the need.

So far, I'm a fan.

Pete.

3. backwater

backwater

Jul 17, 2007
    Edinburgh, UK
    I was in Sound Control in Edinburgh on Sunday and the guys in the shop described them as "Selling like hot cakes"! In the 20 minutes I was in they sold two, there were about 6 more in stock and they had two set up for people to try (one through an Ampeg 8x10 and one through an Ashdown 1x15).

I bought one and it seems fine - plenty loud even into an 8 ohm cab and easy to shift.

Andy :bassist:

4. nandj

nandj

Mar 29, 2007
    Essex, UK.
    I run my 'fly through two Peavey 210TVX 4 ohm cabs.

Luvvly jubbly.

5. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    I just got one and it has this terrible noise coming from it as well as getting hot to the point I'm afraid its going to go up in flames. Do any of you guys have similar issues or did I just get a lemon? Some other people said they had a little noise and I'm wondering if this just common.

6. backwater

backwater

Jul 17, 2007
    Edinburgh, UK
    I think you've got a lemon - mine is pretty much silent in operation though it does get quite hot. There's no cooling fan so the amp cools through the casing.

Andy :bassist:

7. The_D

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Just phoned the websales and saw they have 2 in stock in Kirkcaldy. So I phoned them and told them to hold it till tomorrow. I have a gig tonight but wouldnt try out any new gear at a gig so tomorrow is the first chance of me getting it.

At least if it is a lemon I can have it sent back :)

First new piece of gear I have bought in ages so I am now a little excited :)

8. That's $400 Us... I paid $249 US over here. Mine arrives Monday, wish me luck as I do you.

9. The_D

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    I am currently running a cheapo 100W HH electronics Head unit into a marshall 410 cab. I always intended to get a new head first then buy another cab to compliment it. Maybe a 15 or something. I was looking second hand but just didnt see anything.

Now this should at least put out more than my poor excuse of a head unit. My biggest problem was that it didnt have enough juice to get the tone I wanted from my Jazz. This should give me a bit of head room.

10. nandj

nandj

Mar 29, 2007
    Essex, UK.
    Heres my little stacky poos:

Very punchy!!

PICT0007.

11. The_D

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Well I suppose I should apologise for not searching before I started this thread. I was at work on a short break when I saw the deal from Sound control and I didnt really have the time.

I picked it up this afternoon and have been playing around with it through my little practice combo through the line out output.

Nice variety of tones and now I am just gagging to take it down to practice on monday with the band and see how it performs.

Its a little heavier than I was expecting but this is the most powerful head unit I have ever had so I have nothing else really to compare it to.

Just one thing. I accidentally plugged it into the combined Speakon/jack socket before noticing the line out. It was hissing like mad but I am not very savvy when it comes to amps. Was it hissing because it was going through the wrong input or might I have a lemon? I will not be able to run it through my cab until Monday so if anyone can shed some light on this before hand I might not be quite so let down if it needs returned. Forewarned and all that.

12. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    They seem to be noisy. Not preamp noise but a hum from the power section. I talked to ashdown about it and they told me its noise from the switching system on the digital amps bleeding through. When I first heard it I planned on sending mine right back. After I did a gig with it I decided it was not an issue. The fan on my mag amp is almost as loud.

13. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I have had one of these for about a month and if you crank the gain with the highs way up it will hiss like crazy but the solution is turn down the gain and turn up the master. Or cut the highs a bit. And it does hum slightly but you can only hear it if you are right next to the cab not really an issue. it gets hot but not overly so. I run mine through either an aguillar GS-210+GS-112 Or An Avatar Neo 210 and Neo 112. Both rigs sound great. Overall I am very happy with this amp.

14. The_D

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Well I took the Superfly along to practice last night and the power amp was goosed. No output at all through my cab but worked if ran through the line out into my old amp.

I took it back to sound control today and they confirmed the power amp was knackered. They just swapped it for the last one in the shop and I tried it out their this time. I was gonna buy a speakon - jack lead as well but they threw it in the box for free cause I had had to go back with the amp.

All in all, good guys and now I have a working Superfly for my gig on Sat night :)