1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown Tube Recommendations (NON-BASS HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PJaye, Mar 29, 2009.

1. PJaye

PJaye

Feb 2, 2004
    Boston/Worcester
    Hi All, I'm running an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO III into an SWR Triad. I find the 180Hz EQ control is extremely sensitive, and always have to pull it down some to prevent too much BOOM. I've read here that Ashdown's are bass heavy, and thought I would try another preamp tube. Does anyone have any suggestions for good-sounding tubes that might thin the low-mids out some? The stock Chinese tube is in there now. Thanks.

2. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Replacing a defeatable tube stage isn't going to do much to alter the inherent tone of the amplifier. Ashdowns were never meant to be 'thin' sounding in any area - they have thick tone! It's what they're meant for. If you want to thin it out, you may as well look for a new amplifier brand.

3. PJaye

PJaye

Feb 2, 2004
    Boston/Worcester
    I knew these amps were THICK, but didn't know how much! With my SWR stuff, I run a Tung-Sol to thicken the tone because SWR is more hi-fi and everything is fine.

4. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Well, then I'd say you could either start experimenting with tubes (I personally haven't met anyone that's put anything but a 12AX7 in their Ashdown, and most of the time mine isn't engaged - I replaced my stock tube with a Mesa Boogie and didn't notice anything significant), keep working on the equalizer, or start auditioning new heads.

You really don't even know what "thick" is until you've played an Ashdown head through Ashdown Blueline speakers. Hi-fi definition and clarity it has not.

5. PJaye

PJaye

Feb 2, 2004
    Boston/Worcester
    "You really don't even know what "thick" is until you've played an Ashdown head through Ashdown Blueline speakers. Hi-fi definition and clarity it has not."

Couldn't this also be true of Trace Elliot amps?