1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown Users - talk to me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sevenyearsdown, Apr 7, 2009.

1. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
  2. I had similar gear; the ABM414T and the mag 600. I was impressed by the tone but not the supposed 575 watts that I should have been getting from the rig. Definitely make sure you play both of them together before you buy.

3. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    i played that exact rig before finding an extremely good offer on my GK rig.. i was impressed by it.. and it looks pretty good. but as said, play it first, it may not be for you.. although i've heard alot of good things about ashdown..

4. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    ill never buy a MAG series ashdown amp again.

mine broke, and my mates broke, they both broke of the same thing, cant remember the name of it, but something beginning with 'c' burnt out and leaked all over the inside of the amp.

it can be repaired, but i think its a bit too much of a coincidence that our amps both broke and the same thing went wrong. i have talked to other people and i know a few other people have had the same problem.

shame though, they really are nice sounding amps!!!

5. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    A little more background for you guys - I play a lot of rockabilly and swing type music in quieter settings. Sometimes the drummer even uses the hotrods or brushes at our gigs.

I already have a full stack (4x10 + 1x15) with a Hartke 3500 - so if need be I can bring plenty of volume. The Ashdown would be a backup - or perhaps a practice space rig (unless I fell in love with it or something).

6. I have the MAG300H and I've never been happier with my tone. I do live in fear of the breakdown, however.

7. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    The MAG 300 is a really great sounding amp. It's also very loud. If you get one, make sure you have warranty on it in case something happens. Also, make sure to replace the fuse in it with a new one. That said, even with the higher than normal failure rate, I'd recommend this head because of its price, sound and volume it puts out. You may even prefer it to the Hartke head you have...

As for the MAG 4x10, it's not much an exceptionnal value but is a good buy. It's really cheap considering you're getting a 4x10 for that price. The sound is correct and should be perfectly fine for your backup rig.

8. J-wall

J-wall Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    I cannot speak for the Ashdown Cabinet, but I do have the older version of the head that is wider. I really like it. To me, with my P-bass and running it through an Avatar 212, it does a really good "classic" fat P sound. Not modern (read SWR-ish) at all, though not as woolly as an SVT, still a good solid state interpretation of what I hear when I play SVT's - not distorted, but dark and fat.

I would caution you against the deep boost - it is the magic tone suck/vanishing bassist in a mix button. I play with my EQ flat and it does really well.

As far as durability, I got mine about three or four years ago when Avatar had a batch of them for $250 and I have not had a single problem nor have I replaced the fuse, though it is in the back of my mind. I think it would work well in the application you describe.

9. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I'd pick it up. I almost bought that exact setup as my main rig years ago. The only reason I didn't get it, was I ended up magically being able to afford the ABM 500 EVO II and bought that instead.

For the price, I don't think there's much out there that competes with the MAG series amps. As far as reliability is concerned, I'd say the MAG is right in line with the British-made ABM's. That said, I've owned 4 Ashdown amps, 3 of them Chinese-made. None of them ever gave me any trouble.

My honest opinion: The MAG 300 is a much better sounding amplifier than any Hartke 3500 I've ever played through. It'll probably be louder too.

10. Knifedge

Knifedge

Jan 24, 2009
    I have had 2 Ashdowns, a MAG 400 and a MAG 300. I used my MAG 400 in a trade to acquire something, but the MAG 300 is a great little head. I have had no problems with it at all.. and it is a surprisingly warm tone for a transistor amp. It was my main amp for a little while until I got my Ampeg SVT 3 Pro, so now it is my backup.

I don't know about the Cab, but I would say go for it, if anything it will make for a good system, and it is an excellent backup system if you plan on getting something more expensive in the future