1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown, Vox, Eden Combo choices help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jake_tim, Oct 23, 2005.

1. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    i am comtenplating one getting a new combo for x mas, parents treat :hyper:. and i am looking at the Vox t-60, Ashdown electricblue 12' 180 watts combo, cant remeber then name, and if i play my cards right, maybe an Eden Silver series 10" combo. but most likley the first two, i play mostly 80's hardcore, 77' punk, and i like to expirement around(im always expanding my horizons) , so i liek alot of versitility really. if anyone has opinions on these amps, or a suggestion of your own(try to keep to arounfd $350) I woudl really appreceate it alot,

Thanx in adavnce

-jake

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The Vox is a sweet sounding amp, but doesn't get that loud at all.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Of those three, I'd go with the Eden Silver. The Vox would be cool for a retro vibe, but as Ox said, they are pretty quiet.

4. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    yeh, i was just goign to use it at home, or maybe with my guitarist using only a medium sized marshall combo, so i dont really need to go really loud, im lookign for more quality in this amp.

-Jake

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Then I'd DEFINITELY go Eden.

6. In my humble opinion, I think you should scratch the Vox off your list. Don't get me wrong, I think Vox's are cool, but probably won't satisfy your musical needs.

What usually makes for a happening bass tone from the era you're into is a tight, focused low end that locks seamlessly into the bass drum and guitars, with a twangy top end courtesy of a good sized pick. Vox's have a unique kind of low end. I honestly don't know exactly how to describe it, but it is certainly neither tight, nor focused.

Having never played one, I would probably be that the Ashdown would treat you pretty good. Every one I've heard has sounded excellent. I personally stay leery of them just because of all the problems I've read about here on talkbass. Might want to be something you'd like to look into before deciding.

As for the Edens, I would probably envy you greatly if you got one of those. I've been wanting one myself.

Just outta curiosity, is that your final list? If you're interested in some options, I have a couple you might want to take a look at.

I don't know where you reside at, or what's available to you, but there's the Gallien Krueger Backline 115. It generates as much power as the Eden. with the potential of going to 175 watts if you ever choose to invest in an extension cab. I'm not a big GK man myself, but I just caught a show with the Horrorpops and Left Alone who both used GK's to great effect for punk/psychobilly tunes.

There's also the Laney R2 which was just recently introduced. You can find them at Music123 for about $330. I don't know much about these new amps, but I've been a big fan of the Laney sound in the past, so hopefully these are pretty good.

I hope any of this is useful to you. Sorry, for butting in with my suggestions.

7. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    i was lookign at the backline 112 combo, because the backllien 115 was a little out of my price range i belive, i hav also heard that the backline series reallydoesnt have the GK tone. but i hear the Vox doesnt really have much diversity, but i was looking fro the vintage-vibe of it, i tihnk now that i will be able to afford the ede, but i am still wondering about the ashdown, because i have played an ashdown combo before that i loved, but i havent played the eden before. any more suggestions?

-jake

8. This is what I wrote about my new Ashdown electric Blue 12-180 combo recently on another forum.

I like it alot, and highly recommend it. I'm also pleased with Ashdown's service so far. I've asked them questions about it via email, and have received very prompt, accurate and courteous replies.

9. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    so what would be the better buy, the eden SS 10 inch, the Ashdown blueline 12", or the GK backilne 12"?

-Jake

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I've never tried the Eden, the Ashdown is sweet for the coin, and the GK is meh at best. The "distortion" channel literally sounds like the distortion on a Fender/Squire guitar practice amp.

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'd go with either the Ashdown or the G-K. I tested the Eden Silver Series 1x12 a few weeks ago, and wasn't impressed, so I suspect the 1x10 would be pretty weak. If you could step up to the G-K Backline 115, you'd have a gig worthy amp for a pretty reasonable price. I think it's easily worth the extra cost, and was easily my favorite 1x15 combo in that price range when I checked a couple of years ago.

12. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Among the three listed, I'd go for the Ashdown.

13. I haven't played the GK or Eden gear.

The Ashdown however, as I wrote above is very nice, and it's excellent value.

The Ashdown is definitely gig worthy. It'll stand on it's own at a small gig. Add an extension cab for a larger gig, and if necessary, just use the front panel DI to send a signal to the FOH PA, and use the Ashdown EB 12-180 combo as a stage monitor.

I think what you've really got to do is play some of the amps listed, and see which one's tone you dig ;)

14. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    yeh, i would love to try the Eden out out, but the only ones i have tried are the GK and the ashdown, no one around here stocks Eden unfourtunitly. But i think that I am leaning toward the ashdown right now :p

-Jake

15. If you've played the Ashdown, and you like it.

Get it ;)

:bassist:

:hyper:

16. If I'm restricted to the Eden 10 inch model, definately Ashdown. The 2 GK 12-inchers I tried had no boom whatsoever. They emphasized a lot of the upper frequencies with little to no bass thud, in my opinion.

Now don't forget to treat your parents like the great and wonderful people they are.

17. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    looks liek ashdown it is, unless anyone has anythign else to say on the subject?

-Jake