1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown vs. Aguilar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coonbri, May 7, 2010.

1. coonbri

coonbri

Jul 25, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey bass players, I have been pondering the idea changing my amp. I have owned my Aguilar DB 750 for about 8 years and it's only been out of my house a couple times for gigs. I am now playing in a band again and will be lugging gear. The DB 750 is heavy, but more importantly I just haven't been able to get the sound I am after. Ironically, I played out of an old beat to crap GK head and 4x10 cabinet the other night and it sounded very good. It was very controlled and punchy with my Ken Smith 5. I think we all get the itch to try something new from time to time and after 8 years of the DB 750, I MIGHT be changing! I found an ABM Evo II 500 that is a couple years old. I haven't tried it out yet, but I wanted to see if anyone out here owns one and what you think of the amp. I will run it through my 2x10 and 4x10 Aguilar 8 ohm cabinets. I will be doing a lot of outdoor large venues so I need power. Just want to make sure that amp would be enough.

Any feedback for me? Not sure I want to sell the DB 750 yet, but considering picking up something new to try for a while.

Thanks!

2. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I owned an ABM 500 EVO II for years...

I absolutely LOVED the tone of it, but it was never loud enough. Switched to an Aguilar AG500SC. Loved the power (WAYYYY louder than the Ashdown), couldn't quite get the tone I wanted, though. Switched to an Aguilar DB750. Loved the power, the reliability, the fatness... Hated the lack of versatility.

Now I've got a Genz GBE 750. Best of both worlds! :D

3. dpbass613

dpbass613

Feb 21, 2009
    i literally just had this same debate about going with the EVO over my Aguilar AG500SC, was looking for something new pretty much...another option would be this...

wait for Tech 21 to release the multi channel VT Bass pedal which i think is estimate to be around $500.00 and then also look at picking up a compressor, i bet between the two of those units, and the aguilar you will get a sound similar to the EVO however you also have at the core the 750 running, And then also the VT bass has a DI out on it as a back up in case...just a thought more than anything...good luck in the hunt, I have found that 500 watts is enough for any stage, jumping up in power isn't going to make that big of a difference, unless the PA system can't handle bass, either way 500 watts (at least aguilar watts) has kept up with even the headiest handed drummers I play with. Again good luck, but just another option I guess.

4. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    I have both and have had for over 5 years (DB750 for about the same as you, 8 years) I use Aguilar GS412 and GS410 cabs so also not to disimilar to you. The DB750 goes out the door for 80% of things and always has done. Get the ABM and try it but don't get rid of the DB would be my advice.

I love the Ashdown with a P and J and with my Stingray 5 for rock. Using the valve drive and the pre-shape being engaged can get some mighty, yet different tones to the DB750.

I always go back to the DB for the pure GIRTH though :bassist:

5. I absolutely LOVE my GBE 1200....

I was even considering at one point trying out a DB 750, but Im afraid to get rid of the genz for that. The DB will do the wooly stuff better, but thats all it will do better.

Love the versitility of the Genz.... got to be one of the most versatile heads out there.

I have been wondering about the general
    voicing of the Ashdown stuff

6. 3tsb

3tsb

Nov 17, 2009
    CHICAGO
    I've had both and now have the Ashdown ABM 500 II combo 2x10with the 1x15 extension. I had the DB750 thru the 4x12. I went with the Ashdown for something more manageable and less cumbersome, but it's not much. The Ashdown is very woolly (old school). I would say the Aguilar is slightly more transparent. I just push the mid's a little more on my amp. I mainly use a passive Lakland J-type bass. I have never had any trouble with not hearing myself. In fact, there are times I'm told to turn down.:spit: I do get a lot of compliments too.

You're correct in looking for the II series and not the III. The III series is made in China. Mine and I believe most of the ii's were made in the UK.

7. coonbri

coonbri

Jul 25, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Ahhh, I have been told to check out the Genz GBE 750 many times before! Hmmm, I wish I could find one to check out! Problem I have with the Aguilar DB750 is it seems "harsh" and not punchy. Doesn't seem to matter what bass I use. Changing the EQ on it hardly makes a difference even after installing new tubes. I just can't put my finger on it, but all I know is it does not have the punch I am after. I know it sounds good out front and in recordings, but I am not happy with the tone from the stage. I'm sure many other bass players would love it and think I am crazy, but as we all know, it is personal preference. I need to find a Genz GBE 750 to try! :)

Thanks for all the great feedback!

8. you dont need to try one. Just buy it.

Thats what me and a number of other people on here did and were all smiles still

9. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Well, the GBE 750 is a great amp, but the OP did mention he wants to get lighter. I would think that the AG500SC would be a great choice. I actually slightly prefer mine over the GBE 750, thought I do have to say that the GBE 750 was very versatile. BUT, the AG500SC just has THAT sound that I like, lots of power, and is relatively easy to move at about 18 lbs. I have tried Ashdowns on occasion - never quite seemed to have the oomph... just my opinion of course.

10. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    i agree it has a lovely warmth to it..lots and lots of power too...great simple amp with the Aguilar pedigree....

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've never really enjoyed the Ashdown stuff I've played through.

I've owned the AG500-SC, done pre/power with the DB659, and now play through a DB750. I have really loved them all for different reasons, and would be happy owning any of them a second time.

I agree with some of the comments on the DB750 but I did find that swapping out the tubes helped quite a bit with the control of the "wool". While I haven't played through the bigger Genz Benz stuff, it would take a lot to impress me after having owned this amp.