1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown vs Ampeg ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guidedbassman, Nov 29, 2006.

1. guidedbassman

guidedbassman

Nov 21, 2006
    malone ny
    I am looking at getting a new preamp and want to go with asdown or the ampeg SVP-BSP. I love that sheehan sound but i need to be able to cover alot of different tones so which do you think would be better ??????

John:bassist:

2. Ampeg SVP-CL, SVP-Pro or SVT-IIP would be my personal choices

3. guidedbassman

guidedbassman

Nov 21, 2006
    malone ny
    Yeah i like the other ampeg preamps i had a SVP-11 and didn't like it much i need something i can over drive well. I run overdrive about 95% of the time. What do you think of the ashdown??

4. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    i have e xperience with both the Ampeg SVP-CL, SVP-Pro or SVT-IIP.. they are very good in my opinion... they are clean sounding.. if you want overdrive i would go with the Ashdown,, it can do clean and real dirty if you want

5. Zakk007

Zakk007

Jun 27, 2006
    +1

6. guidedbassman

guidedbassman

Nov 21, 2006
    malone ny
    Well i don't use a really dirty sound its more of a sound with alittle grit on it .

john:bassist:

7. Its not distortion u know, its just some tube "overdrive" so it might be the grit you are looking for.

8. Not something youve mentioned, but how about the tech21 sansamp BDDI?

9. guidedbassman

guidedbassman

Nov 21, 2006
    malone ny
    What i have been really thinking about is putting a rack together much like the one kringle 77 is using now. HE runs his bass into a boss Limiter Enhancer into a voodoo labs sparkle drive, then into a boss line switch with a marshall guitar preamp for his real big drive, than into a ashdown evo 500 rack head. I love the way his rack sounds but would like to use the ampeg SVP-BSP in place of the marshall pre.

10. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    The SVP-Pro doe's everthing I could ever ask for.I know nothing about the ashdown.

11. Hey John,

You must be the bass player for Missguided...hence your user name. I know Chris, Kringle77, very well. I'm very familiar with Chris's sound...it's sweet. I'm digging the Ashdown evo 500...I prefer it over the Aguilar AG 500 that he had before. That said, I think the "secret weapon" to his rig is the boss line selector. We tried one of my pedals, a Boss OD-2R, with the line selector and the Ashdown and that was also a sweet tone. I do like the voodoo labs sparkle drive, but I feel the line selector is where it's at. As you may already know, with the line selector, the low end is still there. Without it, there's plenty of grind, but no booty.

As far as choice of preamps, ask Chris..he's owned both. Personally, I prefer the Ashdown.

I'll have to watch you guys some night. Where can I find your schedule?

12. PWV

PWV Gold Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Tacoma
    fwiw, I own an Ampeg SVT3 Pro and the Ashdown Evo II 900. I use the Ampeg for my church gig, powering an Ampeg 6x10 Cab. I like it for that gig because:

1) Its consistent, I don't need to change settings.
    2) There's just enough tube warmth in the pre for great tone.
    3) I can eq mids to balance a pretty poor acoustical space w/o having to overpower anybody.

I love the Ashdown for my "road" gigs because its:

1) Versatile - warm, fat sounds for blues gigs, or Valve Overdrive which imo nobody does better than Ashdown
    2) Its got that cool Sub-Octave feature which can balance out the tone or just be a cool effect.
    3) Its got POWER! I can power a couple of 4 ohm cabs if needed.

In short - I don't think you can wrong either way, but I'd lean toward the Ashdown. Good luck!