Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown vs. EA vs. Glockenklang

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by James reeve5, Apr 16, 2003.

1. I am interested in giving up on my rack setup, and just switching to a high end head. I am an avid Modulus fan, and I play mostly jazz, fingerstyle stuff, and I do not play rock. I like a deep sound, and my current demeter hbp-1 pre requires too much EQing to get that (I also just want a head for portability reasons).

The question remains...which head should I get?

Ashdown ABM 500

Glockenklang Soul

EA I-Amp

I feel guilty getting rid of my Demeter after just a little over a month of playing it, but it just doesn't have bottom.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    To my ears, the Glockenklang Soul and EA i-Amp are both very hi-fi sounding amps, both very accurate and transparent. I didn't find that to be the case when I played through a couple of Ashdown amps. To me, Ashdown's sound is closer to that of SWR: glassy highs with warm lows. Others may disagree.

I'd be interested in hearing what kind of sound you're looking for. If you're coming from Demeter and like that sound, but don't want the eq'ing, I'd consider EA or Glock. I'd also throw in EBS for good measure, since it's also a very transparent, accurate sounding amp, with the added warmth of a drive stage.

Good Luck!:D

3. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    IMHO, the Glockenklang Soul or the Merlin 600 are as good as it gets for an all-in-one head.

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I think you would be very happy with the ABM 500 in a Jazz setting. I have one and have found it capable of handling any type of music, especially Jazz and Funk.

5. Mike Burduck

Mike Burduck

May 21, 2002
    That's really easy: Ashdown all the way!

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check out the new Glockenklang BassArt Classic head.

7. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I just have to ask if money is a factor in your decision like it is in all of my decisions? I know what Ashdown prices are but have no idea what Glock...prices are. Are they about the same?
    Danny

8. westcoastmetal

westcoastmetal

Apr 7, 2003
    kcmo
    i had a demeter pre amp its the best if your not gettin the sound you want out of that demeter you are doing somthing wrong?

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Or....maybe he just doesn't like the way the preamp sounds...

I notice you say had.....

10. The Glock and EA heads will sound like studio monitors. The Ashdown head is very warm and sounds great even with the EQ bypass switch in.

11. Well I play a Modulus Flea, and the Demeter sterile sound turns the whole setup into a popping, hissy machine. I have the EQ on the bass set all the way up, and the treble almost all the way down. On the Demeter itself, the bass is almost all the way up, and the treble is at around 1200. So 2 sets all the way up, and still not the "desired sound" obviously means I just don't have the right sound. Not to mention, the 30 pounds of the ashdown or glock head does sound very appealing vs. my nearly 40 pounds of head now...

I dunno...but I love all of the input

12. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I have a Glockenklang Heart-Core (very similar to the Soul) and I love it. It's warm and punchy and by kicking up the lo-mid pot, you will get massive lows out of a Modulus. I played a Quantum (that I recently sold) through it and it was amazing.