1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown vs. Gallien Krueger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scubaduba, Apr 20, 2006.

1. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I'm comparing these two set-ups. I'm wanting something with good warm bottom end but want some "growl". I'm not real into the new "techno" sound of the SWR stuff. Any comparative info (or recommendations) you have would be much appreciated.

Ashdown MAG 300H head
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=485030

Ashdown MAG 410T Deep Bass cabinet 4x10
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=605032

or this setup

Gallien Krueger Backline 600 head
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=482534

Gallien Krueger Backline 410-BLXII cabinet
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=601054

or maybe this cabinet
    Gallien Krueger 410SBX
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=482563

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    heres my advice, get the mag 300h. It has a nice warm bottom end that you sseak. Gk is more liek SWR.

3. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Tuff call ... I have both a GK and Ashdown, however not those units. I have the GK 400RB III 240 watts into 4 ohms and the Ashdown ABM EVO II 575 watts into 4 ohms.

First the GKs, all solid state, very flexible with it's tone shaping, seems to have lots of headroom and be reasonably well made. It can get a nice phat tone by adding a little overdrive, I pretty much always add some. Mine is always with me on a gig as a backup, fits right in my bag and can even power up to 8x10s. I do sometimes use it as the power for a 1x15 and a lot for rehersal. The 400RB III is a USA made unit I don't know on the backline series.

The Ashdown has a very simple layout kinda retro, with a single tube front end, solid state power amp. The sound is HUGE ... SVT like, I use it to drive the SWR Henry 8x8 cab which likes lots of power and this thing does'nt even breath hard doing it. I have buddy who has used the 300 watt version to drive a 6x10 cab in a large venue with a loud guitar player and drummer in a trio, and he says it worked as well as his Mesa 400+. The ABM series are made in the UK the MAGs I think Korea.

The Ashdown is more Ampeg like ... and the GK more SWR.

Hope this helps ...

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Ashdown is what you're looking for.

5. I just got the Ashdown setup you're talking about and I'm in love, for the price I don't think you can get much better. But I haven't tried the GK so who knows.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Backlines are imported but built to Bob Gallien's strict standards. They are excellent amps, but I'd recommend springing for a used artist series head. There's an 800RB for sale here, same 300W, better quality head for $50 more.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have seen inside my Backline 600 head, and can attest that the strict standards are being adhered to.

8. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I own a GK Backline 600. I sprang for it, new, when they first came out. I was not able to play the Ashdown before purchasing it, but it was everything I was hoping for.

It's been a great amp for me.

9. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Just wanted to point out that the MAG sound if quite a bit different from the ABM sound because of the EQ.
    I found the ABM sound to be a bit wooly compared to the MAG but it had more depth in tone.
    Also the ABM range isnt made in Uk anymore. i think its put together using parts from China
    I would say the MAG gear is what you want if the above is your price limit
    I can get a lovely growl from my Jazz through my MAG300 running in to my 1210 but not in to the 1x15 of the MAG (its a combo i have).
    you will get a very solid, earthy tone. quite old school compared to the GK amps IMHO.
    I havent played the GK BL series so cant comment but one thing i found with my MAG is that the Cab made all the difference. im sure with the 410 you will get that sound you are after

10. A new user reviving an old thread...

I like a punchy sound that isn't too toppy yet nice and clear. I play a stingray through a sansamp BDDI into an old Fender BXR 300 watt head, and am currently in the market for a decent cab. I've been looking on the net at both GK and Ashdown 410 cabs and am a little ignorant as to their sound... I know I just have to go to a music shop to find out, but some advice from those in the know on here never hurts. What should I get in your opinions? My budget is around $1,000 AUD.

Cheers.