Ashdown vs Genz-Benz!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Josh Raines, Feb 13, 2006.

1. This is the dilemma I am facing:

Genz benz gbe 400 bass head in road case
    genz benz live series 410 cab
    genz benz live series 115 cab
    (8 months old)

Ashdown MAG300
    Ashdown 2x10T Cab
    Ashdown 1x15T Cab

Both are $1400 aud

Please tell me which one you would go for and why.

Thanks in advance
  2. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I have a GBE 400 head and the NEOX 2x12 cab (4ohm).

The GBE 400 is loud and sounds terrific.I have had no problem getting the tone I want and no problems with breakup or distortion even when pushing it quite hard ( using the soft limiter ) Genz Benz IMO rates their power very conservatively.

Mine is very LOUD :D . I love it ,I'm sure my neighbors hate it:;)

Their ( genz benz )customer service and support are second to none,( at least in the USA ) do a search here . I have e-mailed them questions , I have gotten answers almost immediatly.

This :

Continues to:

As far as their LIVE series cabs I cannot comment as I have the NEO X, I know the XB2 series are very nice also, but both the XB2 and the NEO X will set you back some big $$$$$$$$$

As far as the Ashdown I cannot comment as I have never even seen one. I would like to!
    I have read good things about them but have no personel experience to base an opinion on.
  3. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    I would go with GB, unless the 4x10" is not too big for you.
    Buying used you will not lose money.

And GB > Ashdown MAG
  4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Is Genz stuff that good? I'm not being a smart **s it's just that I don't hear much about them. They certainly look cool.
    My old guitar player had a GB guitar cab that I thought sounded like crap but that could have been him.
    I saw CKY a bit ago and I think the bass player used a Genz Benz amp. That thing had a crazy amount of lights on it.
  5. I am a big fan of Ashdown, but I think the Genz Benz 400 outclasses the MAG series. I would expect the Ashdown package would be significantly cheaper in the US than the price for the Genz Benz package you are interested in. But I haven't checked it out in detail.
  6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Yes, it is that good. I have no stake in this, though to be honest I am selling my GBE600 (not here - it's looking like it will be going to a church) because I lost my job recently, and if I can't eat I won't be playing bass very much. The best Hybrid or Solid-State amps I have owned. I have played the 400 and some of the combos as well, and found them to be similarly excellent, always the best stuff at the given price point. I will say I do not like the guitar amps, but a friend has the G-Flex 212 guitar cab and it is very cool, though not for everyone.

I have owned Ashdown ABM series, Ampeg, SWR, Eden, you name it. Some was good, some not so. Sometimes you find an amp you like, then later when it breaks you find out you're screwed because the company is no help; this will not happen with Genz Benz. Not only is their stuff great, they stand behind it. I had a technical question an early discontinued combo, and they got right back to me with all the data they available. No fee, no forms to fill out, no questioning if I bought it new, etc. You won't find much if any negative comments on G-B, even people who like other products don't slam G-B.

I don't think you can go wrong buying Genz Benz, as long as the item in question has not been severely abused by a former owner it will be great. The onlt thing my 600 did not excel at was sounding like a 100-200 watt tube head cranked to full volume, but you really need a 100-200 watt tube head to get that. I can understand having some questions, and I wouldn't want to take ANYBODY'S word on how good something sounded. Unfortunately it's tough to hear for yourself, there don't seem to be nearly enough dealers around.
  7. Thanks for all the help guys!
  8. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I played a GBE400/4x10/1x15 LiveSound stack before comitting to Genz-Benz.

Awesome overrall.

The GBE400 is a very good amp. I like the tube pre-amp in the GBE600, but when I tried the GBE400 I thought I had it all. You won't miss it so it won't bother you. It's a tone monster, and is louder than many amps on the market.

The LiveSound cabinets are great. A fairly punchy sound. The lows aren't on the stat sheets, but my LS-210 sounds like it has better low-end response than my Peavey 15" Black Widow cab. It's also just as loud as my 15" Black Widow cab (100dB sensitivity). As I was setting up for my last band practice, my guitarist plugged into my LS-210 and wouldn't let me plug into it, whatever that's worth. My 2x10 has a meatier lows and mid-bass response than the Peavey (which is fairly flat at that range). I love it, and I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon. The 1x15 is smooth, if I could find one I would definately buy it.