Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown vs GK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grungtertl, Sep 10, 2005.

1. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    Ashdown EVO 900 or Gallien Krueger 2001RB?

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Depends on whatcha want. If you want a tubey sound, go Ashdown. If you want more modern, go GK.

Both will be uber-loud and drive most anything.

3. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    G-K. The 2001rb is a monster. Killer loud and I love the tone. I am personally not a fan of Ashdown tone, YMMV.

4. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Don't know about the 2001rb's, but if they are anywhere as nice as they make the 800's, then you're set. The 800 RB's are one of the most solid heads out imo.

5. I love the Ashdown tone. It does have a good deal of tubey goodness, which may be in your favour. I don't like completely solid-state amps, myself.

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Two different animals. I have an Ashdown MAGC210 combo amp I use live and a GK Backline 110 for jamming. I LOVE the Ashdown for its low mids and warmth. It complements my Warwick very well. The GK has a more modern "rip paper off walls" tone which is nice, but I prefer the warmth of my Ashdown.

My site about my gear gives a more elaborate breakdown. http://www.geocities.com/nc6566

7. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    That is a wonderfull explanation of G-K tone. Hit the nail on the head with this one.