1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown Vs. Orange: 115 Combo Comparison.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jack Pepsi, May 24, 2011.

1. Jack Pepsi

Jack Pepsi

Dec 9, 2010
    Hi all,

I've been playing through an old 15" 150w Ashdown Electric Blue EB150 combo (Which I believe are discontinued) for years. Here in the UK, most local music circuits are dominated by pubs and bars, and my 15" Ashdown always managed to get the volume it needed in those venues.

Recently the amp has been dying, and following a repair that didn't stay repaired - I'm biting the bullet and replacing it.

One I've been looking at, is the seemingly never talked about Orange Crush Pix 100BXT combo. Orange Amp, Orange Speaker, 15", Relatively affordable new at ~£230. Sounds too good to be true.

It's only 100w next to the old Ashdown's 150w - but what's the real catch?

Has anyone had experience with these amps, and can you tell me how well it will fill the Ashdown's shoes?

Much appreciated,

Jack.

2. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    I use the 180 Watt Ashdown EB 15'' combo, and, IMO, it sounds much nicer than the Orange combos and heads that I got to try at the London Bass Guitar show earlier this year. The Orange amps all sounded quite 'harsh' to me and I couldn't seem to dial that out. The Ashdown sounds much warmer and rounder too me.

If I were in your shoes, (and I sort of am, considering I am in a band in the UK that only plays pubs / bars) I would either look at getting the Ashdown repaired by somebody else, or simply buying a new Ashdown combo. The 180 Watt versions are still in production, with either a 15'' or 12'' speaker arrangment. You might also want to look at some of the higher end combos as well, like the MAG or ABM series if you also want a bit more bang for your buck :)

3. Jack Pepsi

Jack Pepsi

Dec 9, 2010
    I play a MIM P-Bass at the moment, and usually play with the tone full - 3/4 sort of range. Up at the treble end. By harsh, do you mean a little bit gainy and rough?

If so, that might not be a bad thing, since I like the Black Sabbath, Kyuss style bass sound.

A 12" wouldn't really cut it for me, I've never played one that could compete with other things in the mix like the drummer's cymbals etc...

A shop near me stocks loads of Orange stuff, so I'm going to see if they have one that I can look at, of not I don't know what alternatives to consider.

Hartke seem to get good feedback on here, but I rarely see them around where I live and I'm not too keen on going back to Ashdown, as the one I currently own has had a history of being troublesome.

Ampeg and Peavy are two others that might bare considering?