Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ashdown vs swr (with effects)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Feb 14, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    which ashdowns do you have and do they run good with effects. also are the tone controls hard to handle or are they pretty easy to get a good tone out of?

more specifically the swr sm-900, and how is it with effects? and are the tone controls good to handle or no?

i ask because i have the oppurtunity to get an abm 900 evo II or an swr sm-900 im trying to figure out which i want. i need to know by tonight though. thanks for all your help.

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    bump, need some help. if even just a suggestion of which amp you think is better.

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Ok, this is kinda a shot in the dark. I havent owened either and havent even played the amb 900 but I have played a amb 500. For my tastes I think the swr sm 900 sounds better and will be more flexable in tone. If you think you would like the ashdown sound, I bet the amb 900 would smoke the sm 900 in volume, in fact I would bet the amb 500 would as well. To me the sm 900 is kinda a quiet amp compared to other amps Ive tried for its rating. This is JMO but if you have/own a P or J type bass and like that tone, you would probably like the ashdown better. If you have a more modern type bass you might like the swr better, you will be able to hear more of you bass guitar tone. There both good amps.