Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown vs. .....?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cristo, Nov 4, 2005.

1. For those of you who have owned any Ashdown amps, as well as something else, can you offer any comparative advice?

I'm thinking of new gear...so I'm wondering about pros and cons, particularly regarding reliability. #1 on my list is "never breaks."

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Well I hear a lot about Ashdown problems, but I have owned my ABM 900 for about 2 years and its been through all sorts of moving, gigs and weather and I have never, ever had a problem with it.

Ashdown (or at least all the ones I have played [ARM range]) are very hard to eq. What I mean to say is, they sound great, but you can tweak the damn things forever! I don't ever recall having a bad sound out of my Ashdown. I love it. They are heavy as all get out. They have a lot of features, both useful and not.

In the past I have owned a Sunn 1200S, Trace Elliot (I forget the model and make), Peavey Mach 3 (the one with the teal paint on it) and an SWR Workingman 4004. The only amps of those I ever kept was the Peavey and that was the only one I thought that sounded as good as the Ashdown. That and it's a work horse. None of the other amps ever seemed to have the versatility or reliability I wanted. Not to mention the sound, even with EQ.

So in my opinion, Ashdown is a great product. You won't go wrong with it. The guys at Bass Northwest are very good with Ashdown knowledge and such. Bass Central isn't bad either.

Also look into Eden, Mesa and Ampeg (budget amps and they sound good). They all make nice amps. Of course not as nice as the ashdowns ;) .

3. GK 800 RB it will never let you down

4. Specifically anyone using the ABM EVO II?

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMHO,

ashdown's are my FAV large scale manufacturer. as for hard to tweak EQ's, i havent had a problem.

i'd easily take ashdown over any ampeg or SWR any day.

6. i'm using the ashdown 500 rc evo II. it is a great bass amp. i dumped an ampeg svt III and was looking for more power and that tone that my old v4h had, and after playing a bunch of amps and talking to the guys at bass nw, the ashdown was my choice. it's never been a issue when it comes to dependability and has tons of power and that deep thick tone i was after. i'd recommend an abm ashdown evo II to anyone looking for a great amp.