Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown VU Meter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 2pods, Oct 17, 2003.

1. 2pods

2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    Scotland
    This is probably silly, but does the VU on an Ashdown ABM EvoII register whats coming back in on the FX loop ?

I have to use my compressor in the loop as a pre-amp signal is recommended.
    Also, I`ve noticed when I pop a string the VU goes hard into the red,even though when slapping it`s barely reaching 0db.

Obviously with my old Trace it wasn't such a worry,as apparently it's possible to pysically break the VU needle on the Ashdown

Any thoughts ?
    :meh:

2. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    The VU meter is post EQ but pre effects send.

So it doesn't register the signal coming back from the FX loop.

It does however register your EQ settings so maybe you have quite a bit of treble boost for slapping.

3. 2pods

2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    Scotland
    It's the same with eq set flat.

I think I'll try the compressor into the amp if I can get enough signal from the bass to drive the compressor:meh:

4. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I tend to find with my setup that I get more needle movement from the slap than the pull - and in either case its less than playing fingerstyle (I dig in pretty hard). I set the amp up by turning the final volume pretty low, then play as hard as I will be at the end of the night and watch the needle as I go across the strings from B (its a five string) to G. I then alter the input gain so that its just going into the red. Then I wind the final volume back up to normal playing level.

Do you notice any differences in volume when playing from the E string to to G string ?

Do you play a lot of slap ?

If you do it may be worth changing the way your pickups are set so that they slant slightly further away from the D and G string than the E and A. This should 'level' off the output from the pups.