Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ashdown vu meter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dino, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Dino

Dino

Jan 9, 2002
    Cagliari - Italy
    I posted it in miscellaneous forum, but had no answer, so now i try here.
    when i bought my used ashdown abm 200 head, it had not his vu meter (it was broken). Now i got a new vu meter but i don't know how to connect it. Is there someone that can helps me?
    Sorry for my english (i'm italian), i hope you can understand....

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Not to sound the worng way, but I would leave that type of work to a pro. Especially if it is a warrantee item.

3. It will be a matter of opening up the amp (obviously disconnected from the wall), finding where and how the original VU meter is connected, make a note of the connections, de-solder the old, remove, and solder in the new VU meter.

It shouldn't be difficult if you know how to wield a soldering iron and understand a little about electronics/electrical yadda yadda.

BUT, if you get it wrong you could potentially kill more than just the VU meter in the amp. And, if you get it really wrong you could kill yourself (no joke).

If you're unsure about ANY of it, like ZuluFunk sez, get a pro to do the work. It's not a hard job for them and would only take maybe 30 minutes.

4. Dino

Dino

Jan 9, 2002
    Cagliari - Italy
    i never seen how and where the old Vu meter was connected 'cause when i bought this head it wasn't in (the old owner throwed it).
    I think there is no difficult in connecting it (it only have 2 short cables), the only thing i'd like to know is where they have to be inserted. So if there is anyone that have an ashdown amp, please, open your head and tell me how to do it.
    Tomorrow i will go to asking to a pro....

5. I don't have that head but I might be able to offer some help.

A VU meter has two wires to connect to it. After all, it's just a voltmeter.

One connection to the meter is +, the other is -. You might - I repeat, might - be able to tell which wire goes to which pin on the meter by checking the colours of the wires used. If one of them is red, then that's possibly for the VU's + pin. The other colour then goes to the other pin.

If you can't decide which is which from the wire colours and you still want to have a try at doing the repair yourself, you might wish to try this.

Solder the wires to the meter. Turn all the controls to their minimum settings plug in the bass. Switch on the amp. The meter should flick a little then settle to its minimum position (usually the left hand side).

Turn the volumes up a little and gently pluck a string. If the meter needle moves the correct way you've got the connections right. If it tries to move harder towards the rest position you've wired it the wrong way. Simply switch off, reverse the wiring and all should be well.

If you've a direct replacement meter then you should get the correct readings when it's in use. If you've got just another meter it may well not be calibrated correctly because of the possibly different electrical characteristics of the two meters.

John