Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown?? What rig??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Theexploitbass, Apr 26, 2005.

1. So the time has come that I want to upgrade my amp!! I just feel its time. Now i have two choices, the first is as follows

AMB RPM-1 Preamplifier
    AMB 1000 Evo II PowerAmplifier
    ABM 410T Cab

That being pricey but sweet as...

Now the second option is...

ABM 900 EVO II Head
    ABM 410T cab (possibly 2 of these with this setup)

The second option being the cheapest of the two, by far!!

What advantages would the pre/power setup give me over the standard head/cab?? What advantages does the head/cab have over the pre/power??

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I guess the only real advantage to having the pre and power seperate instead of a head combo is that same advantage you would have for having a head and cab instead of a combo.

3. You could save some good cash & have less backaches. I'd ditch the ABM1000 power amp & go with a lightweight, quality power amp.

The ABM1000 power amp weighs around 77 pounds. That's a tank. Also, I'm not positive about the price but in the UK it costs about 1,500 US Dollars. You could get a QSC PLX1602 & run bridged at 4 ohms 1600 watts into 2 ABM410's @ 8ohms each. The PLX weighs only about 21 pounds & costs from about $700 new or even cheaper used. Could probably get an even better deal by shopping around.

QSC PLX1602 - $700 or cheaper
    ABM 410 - $700 each
    ABM RPM1 - Approx $650

Or you could go with the ABM900 & 410 - A swell setup also.

JUST NOTICED, If your in the UK the QSC option may not be viable, you could always look at the Yamaha P7000S, it weighs around 33 pounds, costs $700 USD & puts out 700 watts into 8 ohms stereo or 950 4 ohms stereo (if you get the 4 ohm cabs from Ashdown). I'm not sure of the bridging capability though on the Yammi's I have heard that they are not bridgable into 4 ohms. :meh:

4. Thanks for help dude, i shall look into the power amps you suggested!!

5. I run my yamaha power amp bridged into 4 ohms all the time, not a problem whatsoever, doesn't even get warm cranked just about all the way up for a hard charging 4 hour gig.

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    The only difference between the rpm pre and power setup and the abm 900 is the volume so tonally they will be the same.

I personally would recommend the abm 900 and then if you ever need more power you can run a separate power amp with the preamp out on the head. Maybe in this case get the the 500 and a 2x10 for smaller gigs and then a 4x10 for larger ones so giving you a 6x10 for really big stuff. But then I've never even considered the 900 as I don't need that much power.

Have you checked out the ashdown labs heads I think one of those is about 600 watts maybe more, I know they do a programmable power amp rated at around 1600 watts.

Just a thought.

7. I got my Yamaha info from another TB thread. Can't remember who but he stated that for that particular Yamaha amp series (the current P series) Yamaha does not suggest you bridge into 4 ohms. His info came from a Yamaha rep. The only reason they quote 4 ohm running bridged info is because every other amp maker does. :meh:

Certainly Yamaha makes some great amps, had one years ago P2000 (I think) was a swell amp.