1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown, which cab should I use with a ABM 500 EVO III?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andbaggio, Dec 23, 2011.

1. andbaggio

andbaggio

Dec 16, 2011
    Treviso, Italy
    Hello everyone, I just wanted to know your opinion about something that I'm wondering.

I use a Ashdown ABM 500 EVO III bass amp and currently I have a 2x10 cab (300 watts) and a 1x15 cab (300 watts) always Ashdown ABM series. Both at 8 ohms.

At first I wanted to get a 4x10 ABM series cab at 4 ohms (650 watts), but a friend told me that I should get at least a 1x15 plus either another 1x15 or the 2x10.

I'm not really satisfied yet with my sound. We just changed practice location and I've had this Ashdown amp for about 3 months now, so I'm really familiar with it fully.

Any advice? How should I setup my EQ in order to get a sound like the one that Duff McKagan has on Slither by Velvet Revolver? I know he uses GK but I think I can get that tone too right?

thanks to everyone

2. 115/115, 210/115, or 210/210 cab combinations would get the same amount of volume (more or less) as a single 410 cab. The tone will be different (and that's up to your tastes) but the amount of volume will be the same. Note that 210/210 cabs stacked vertically is higher than a conventional 410 box, allowing you hear it easier.

GK tone is usually focused on the punchy high-mids. Which is almost an opposite with the warm, low-mids happy Ashdown. Try lowering down your bass and boost your high mids. To get that bright metallic grinds, you need a GK RB amp unfortunately.

As for cabs, try SWR 410 offerings (Goliath or WorkingPRO).

I'd personally pair it with a ABM 410, Hartke AK-410, or Ampeg SVT 410-HE but that's because I like Ashdown's warm, round, vintage tone.