Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown, Yorkville, Fender... another combo thread.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, May 1, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I have amp phobias. This is the 67th time I'm in the same position asking almost the same questions. I have a 27 year old 130 Peavey combo who's visits to the doctor are getting more and more frequent. It crapped out again last night and i simply can't trust it anymore. Here's what I'm looking at:

Ashdown Electric Blue
    Ashdown C115T
    Fender Bassman 250 - 2X10, or 1X15
    Yorkville XM200

Some of my many questions: The ashdowns. I'm reading that while C115 is rated at 300 watts that's only if you hook up an extra speaker. The combo itself is only pushing 130 watts. If that's the case and I didn't plan on getting another bottom, wouldn't the electric blue be better at 180 wattts and less money? Hmmm... or does that only put out 70 watts as is.

What's the deal wth these other amps too? Do they put out the watts they say they do, or do I have to read really carefully.

Also, and my main concern... my Peavey was a freak, it covered every gig i ever did anywhere without distorting. I've played stacks in studios that had 300 watt heads, a 15 and 4 tens that distorted like crazy before it was loud enough to hear myself. How the hell do I know what amps are going to do this and what amps won't without taking them out to a gig??? I can't crank them in the stores, and I can't take other people word on it because it's all subjective. i had a 200 watt hartke head and 4X10 that some people swore by - it wasn't worth crap to me because as soon as I got it to a level that I could hear with my band all it sounded like was a bunch of guys farting.

I hate buying amps.... I've bought and returned about 6 of em cuz my Peavey always sounded better... HELP!!!! Newer Peaveys don't sound like my old one if yer thinking, just buy another peavey then.

Also - my expereince is that 2 10s will distort long before 1X15. Is this accurate, or simply my experience? Can you get real, deep bottome out of 2 10s> I think I've asked enough now. Please contribute what you can, every little bit helps. Thanks

Oh yeah - I absolutely cannot go over $650 in price, and I don't like buying used.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Interesting question there Joe. Right now I run a Peavey T-Max head into an Ashdown MAG115, and it's a killer setup. It really pumps out low Bs as well, and it's not a whole lot larger than combos. I'd say you might want to look into something with larger cone area, i.e. 12s and 15s, or go insane and 18s.
    I don't know really how much volume you need, but you may want to look into the head+cab route as well as the combo route. I really really love my ashdown cab though... and my combo of theirs I had worked fine for 2 guitarists who had 2x12 100W amps and a pretty loud (at times) drummer. I'm actually looking to score a MAG210 cab for on top, then be done with my amp setup for a long time.
    Hope this helped,

Ray

3. Easy queastion with an easy answer:

Yorkville XS series. 400 or 800 watts.

The best plain and simple.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So why don't you just castrate us? I don't know what a Fender Bassman 400 Pro goes for, but it's less than either of the two amps you really need, the Metro and the Super Redhead. The Fender's a great sounding combo.

5. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Yeah I don't know about the Yorkville XM series. I have a xs400t and... Just wow.. I love it. Only problem is that the paint job can get 'scratchy'. Not a bad problem to have in the overall picture huh?

6. everyone will think i am biased freak (since, i am;)) but why not try out some Trace gear, Joe? I personally feel I can get that old peavey combo sound without the preshape on and if i tweak the graphic. im using a gp12 smx (12 band graphic eq) and a 2x10. its a bit high end at loud volumes, so maybe a 15" would be better suited for you (i plan to add a 15 in the future). its got a 250W RMS power section, and its loud as hell. these are trace watts baby! of course, you can get more powerful powersections (i.e. the ah300).

i played thru an ashdown 15" combo a couple weeks ago against a 2x12 marshall and a loud drummer, another band used it against the 2x12 and a another 12" combo. didnt work out. I felt it just didnt have enough power to deliver to the rest of the room, mind you, we werent using a PA...

i know you said you didnt like buying used, but i thought id throw in the trace idea anyway.

i can see the bassman sounding fine, ive always enjoyed their sound; but ive never used one in a live situation.

7. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I love the TE stuff, but it will be difficult and almost impossible to full fill both of Joe Nerve's requirements with TE stuff. In fact, it won't be easy to full fill either.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Just found a Fender BX100 used in great condition for $100. Anyone know if that will have enough headroom to get me through a couple of cover gigs till I decide what the hell I wanna do? Ya think I'd be just throwing away $100, or do ya'll think it would be real easy to re-sell for the same once I make up my mind?

9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I have a Fender BXR 100 from 1996. Not a bad amp. Had to get a cold solder joint, and bad power amp in jack replaced once. Other than that, it's been problem free.

I've played a lot of different gigs with it, both indoors, and outdoors. Never had a problem being heard. In fact, I used to own a BXR 400 with a 2x10,a nd 1X15 cab. I honestly felt the 100 sounded better for some strange reason-and still could fill a room nicely.

Of the amps you mentioned, I only have experience with the Yorkville. I have the XM200c-just a carpeted covered version of the XM200. It sounds better than the Fender, and gets pretty darned loud(haven't tried an external cab with it yet, but I'm sure it would be wicked loud that way)

Actually, let me put it this way;the Fender gets a real nice old school kind of sound. The Yorkville gets a lot of really nice sounds-old school, and hi-fi, if thats your thing :)

Check out a Yorkville, I think you'll like it. And if that Fender works well, I don't think it's a waste of money. Thats just my opinion :hyper: