Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Goatrilla, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Goatrilla

Jun 21, 2005
    Hello everyone,
    I am in the market for a new amp, and have been looking at both the Ashdown MAG C210T 300 and the MAG C115T 300. Any tips at all? I play in a very loud Metal-like band, and am looking for an exceptionally round tone, akin to that of Steve Harris of Iron Maiden.
    Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you all.
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Personally, I don't like how Ashdown cabs sound, and I have heard horror stories about their combos blowing up. Now, a great rig would be a 210 and 115 from Avatar with the Ashdown head.
  3. I'd love to hear more about Ashdown - I'm looking at their Five Fifteen for my first amp (I don't even play yet - gonna buy a SX SPJ-75 and the amp as soon as my junk on eBay sells). Any other Ashdown experiences?
  4. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'd definitely like to hear some opinions on the quality of Ashdown heads. I'm real curious about how an Ashdown Mag300R would work with maybe a Dr. Bass 112 cab for jazz and fusion.
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I love Ashdown heads! They can go from either clean and Hi-Fi to tubey goodness, and they are just overall excellent heads.
  6. What about their combo units (practice amps)?
  7. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I went Eden instead. Very happy. :)
  8. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Some of us are college-bound teenagers with limited cash :p
  9. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    OK, the name on that combo is just wrong. I clicked on that link hoping for a 5x15" cab.... :eek:
  10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I hate their cabs and the speakers they use in the combos. Plus I've heard all kinds of reliability issues with the combos. Better to just stick with the heads if you want Ashdown.
  11. I'm in the market for an amp too. Heres what my experience with Ashdown is from testing them out. Not impressed with the combos to be honest. I've played the Five Fifteen and the Perfect Ten. I do like the fact that you can add an additional speaker if you want, not that it matters anyways for a practice amp.
    Honestly I like the Electric Blue 180 head but my suggestion is just to spend a little more cash and get the Mag 300 head. I've played them both in their combo form and they both seemed to sound nicer as a head and cabinit.
    Just my two cents.
  12. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I am really pleased with my MAG 300 and wouldnt hesitate to recommend it. For me, it definately beats all other heads in that price range. It is a high quality piece of equipment. The output is fine to push the two 1x15's I own or a 1x15 and a 2x10 in a loud band setting. I've gotten a pretty good punchy tone out of it. I would say overall the tone is a little on the mellow/warm side, I am sure it is capable of some pretty warm full tones for jazz and other styles.
  13. Ashdown is just one kind of practice amp I'm considering. I know there's plenty of reviews and comments on the boards, but since we're on the subject, what other practice amps you you folks recommend? $250 is as high as I can go.
  14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    My practice amp is a 60 watt Crate 112 with headphone out, extension speaker, 2 inputs (passive/active) EQ and Shape controls. I got it for just $160 on closeout. Its a great little amp that works just fine for practice. Check out your local stores and see what you can find.
  15. Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    I've had a Mag300 and Avatar cab for about a year now. I think it all totaled up around $525 with shipping. I like the way the head sounds, it has an efficent EQ with good frequency choice, a surprisingly useful level meter for dialing in the amount of warmth/grit you want, and plenty of power.

16. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Jeez im glad i saw this thread!

I'm was gonna buy a MAG c115 combo in the near future but by the sounds of it, i'm better off with a head and cab, if reliability is the issue!
    I live in Australia, so i'd love to get an avatar cab but i'm not sure how much it would cost to ship to Oz, would anyone have an estimate?
    Other than avatar i'd probably only be able to get a cheap cab, like a behringer or hartke cab. What are these like(generally)? Are there any other cabs in that price range that are better?
  17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Some Peavey cabs I've played through sounded great! What exactly do you have avalible locally?
  18. Absolutely NO to their practice amps - they are POS.

But their high end stuff is excellent.
  19. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    There's pretty much all the major brands.

I just mean that i'd love to go with avatar cos (apparently) theyre really good for the money, but i don't know how much it would be to ship a cab to Oz so i don't know if it would be worth it.
  20. I've got both an Electric Blue 130 (earliest version of the EB series with a 15" speaker) and an ABM 500 EVO with Mini 48 and Mini15 cabs.

The range of tones and volume from both of these amp setups is superb IMO! The EB is really loud and portable, and has enough headroom for good sounding Low B notes. The ABM rig is also great and very portable!

Must admit, the EB 130 is the second I have had ,the first went a bit bonkers within the first week - after about 5 minutes there was a lot of distortion. So it got promptyl swapped for another - which I've had for almost 4 years!