Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rashbeep, Mar 11, 2006.

1. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    hi, i went to my local music store today, and i was jamming on an ashdown MAG c210t. I was greatly impressed by this amp. however ive also seen some good reviews on a similar model, the c115t. there isnt that much of a price difference, but i would like to know what the differences are. is one louder than the other, nicer tone, nicer features, etc. please help?

2. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's all preference. They have the same preamp and pwoer sections, but they project differently. That's why they are basically the same price. I personally like the 210's because I find it more versatile and punchy. For larger gigs, you can add a 15" to round out the sound and get more power out of the amp. however. for the price of a new MAG, I think you are in the ballpark for used ABM's and the tone is so much sweeter. More eq options, tube preamp, better cooling etc.

3. pj-mike

pj-mike

Nov 22, 2005
    Bridgewater, MA
    Like alBass111 said, its a matter of preference.
    Do you like the sound of a 15, or two 10s with the horn?

4. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    well that's hard to say cause ive never heard a 15 before..

5. I have a Mag 300 C115. I like it very much. It sort of has a 70's vibe to it. Bassy sounding with out being muddy. The 210 has more punch and less bass but it will cut through the mix better. IMO I like to think of it as this. 115 is more vintage sounding 210 is more modern sounding. Either one you cant go wrong.

6. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    ok i dont wanna start a new thread, so ill ask my question in here. im now thinking of a new MAG or an ABM. i tried the mag and i really enjoyed those "deep" and "bright" features it had. now i dont think the abm has it, so what does the abm have to offer that the mag doesnt?

7. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The ABM offers more eq options. The most important feature is the ability to use the tube preamp section. While the MAG sounds great for the price point, I don't think that it compares to the ABM at all. Because the MAG is more entry level, its deep and bright switches don't do anything that an ABM EQ can't deliver. Those switches are kind of a short cut. ABM is a better product hence, the difference in price.

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I actually prefer the MAG sound over the ABM sound.
    The two are quite different because the EQ is set at different freq's. the ABM has more punch and low end but i just love the "old school" sound of my MAG.
    I would say the cost difference has a lot more to do with the extra features like the tube pre amp, VU, more in/out options rather than the quality of the sound. The MAG can do things the ABM cant because of the different EQ but the ABM is more advanced
    I used to have the deep switch in all the time on my MAG and more or less have the rest of the EQ flat but on my ABM i cant use the pre-switch because it boosts the high's as well so the ABM cant boost at 50hz like the MAG can. I love the 100hz control which the ABM doesnt have.
    you could also get the MAG600H for less than a ABM300 EVOII head. much more power (575watts vs 325watts)

9. SuperSonic!!!

SuperSonic!!!

Oct 26, 2005
    YORKSHIRE
    I would also like to ask a question here rather than starting a new thread - is the 300 watt mag amp loud enough for large gigs? I read that British companies rate watts differently to American ones, for example say a 500 watt British head would be as loud as an 800 watt American head - is this true?

10. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I dont think there is a difference in watts generaly but in a few cases i guess companies do under state the power output
    I have been using a MAG300 C-115 combo for the last 2 years. i play covers ranging from 50's RnR to the Killers and its been fine as far as i can tell. playing to 50-250 people without PA support. But i get the felling its only been just enough and not quite as loud as needed. i have no trouble getting the sound i want and getting iot out to the dance flor but with just the combo its only been putting out 220watts (or there abouts). ive not had any complaints about the volume but since i got my ABM (also 325watts) and 1210 i have found i can project further and am now realising that the sound needs to be felt rather than just heard and im not sure 300watts can do that at my bigger gigs (200-500 people)
    As im only using one cab i need a louder amp but you may be ok with 300watts if you are using 2 cabs.
    hope this helps a bit

11. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Ta to you, la. For what it's worth, my completely biased opinion is that the 15s sound great with Ashdown stuff. You'd think that sub harmoinzier thingy would only appeal to jah Wobble or sumpin', but I found myself dialing in a bit of that all the time and it doesn't quite hit you in the gut as much with 10's.

Watch out for those Yorkshire girls, I've heard stories.

12. SuperSonic!!!

SuperSonic!!!

Oct 26, 2005
    YORKSHIRE
    heheheheh...