1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drewhrt2, Apr 14, 2009.

1. drewhrt2

drewhrt2

Jan 28, 2009
    Does anyone know why ashdown amps are so common in studio settings? I could be rong but they seem to be popping up in alot of in-studio videos. Any one know why this is?

2. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Simple. They sound amazing.

Tonewise, I'd rate Ashdown's "Classic" and "ABM" series second only to Aguilar (and this is very subjective, of course). I had an English-made ABM500 EVO II that I absolutely LOVED. But I got rid of it because I needed something with more volume.

They are warm without being wooly, and articulate without being shrill. Big and bold, without sounding too hi-fi.

Hmm.. I should probably buy another Ashdown. I kind of miss mine.

3. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Because they are good.

4. Aurel

Aurel

Dec 11, 2008
    Paris, France
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses & Framus guitars, Pigtronix, Aguilar Amps, Orange Amps,
    +1.

I have an ABM 500 EVOIII that sounds truly amazing, tough it's not english-made and it does an amazing job in small venues and recording situations.

5. drewhrt2

drewhrt2

Jan 28, 2009
    ok thanks guys. yea i was curious because i've heard some negative feedback about them but i guess their prevalence is testament to their quality.

6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    IMO, I think it's more they are the 'amp of the current era'. The same way as ampeg defined the 70, early 80 rock, and Trace Elliot defined 80's rock and pop. I guess a manufacturer only needs a few high profile artists under their belt and other people want the same sound. But I wonder if Ashdown will be as prevalent in 10 years time?

Personally I'm not a fan of the Ashdown sound, but they must be doing something right to be everywhere.

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I don't know if I'd agree with this. I'll definitely agree with Ampeg being the amp of the 70's. I'd say that GK, specifically the 800RB was the amp that defined the 80's. I'd go to SWR as the amp of the 90's. Amp of the 00's...? Ashdown? I'm not sure any manufacturer can really be the amp of the 00's as there are SOOOOOOOOOOOO many choices out there and none of them seem to be defining of the decade. For that matter... What music defines the 00's in general?