Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Infamous Bax, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Infamous Bax

Infamous Bax

Apr 14, 2002
    Orlando, Fl
    I use an Ashdown MAG 400 210 combo with an Ashdown MAG 410 cab. I went with the MAG because I didn't need all of the power of the ABM line and I like the portibility of a combo amp. I played both ABM and MAG and they are only slight differences in the two besides wattage. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else used Ashdown. I looked around at a lot of amps, some a lot cheaper, some a lot more expensive and I went with Ashdown. I love the Octive effect on these amps. I solo a lot and it really keeps the bottom as I move higher up the neck. I'd like to know what you guys think.

THE INFAMOUS BAX
    www.theinfamousbax.com

2. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Love my ABM500. I hardly use the octave at all, I just dig the amp for it's fat tone and the fact that it's WAY loud.

3. I don't use the harmonizer either, I play through a ampeg svt 4x10 hlf and I think the speakers blow apart when I do.

There aren't many speakers who will survive when the low octave of the B or even E is played.

4. Infamous Bax

Infamous Bax

Apr 14, 2002
    Orlando, Fl
    I can't live without the octive effect. I love it. Yeah, the ABM 500 is great. It was the one I originally played through when trying out new amps. The ABM have the sliders on the EQ so it has a little more shapeing ability but the MAG's are pretty nice too.They're a little cheaper but they still kick ass. You can't go wrong with an Ashdown in my opinion.

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I will likely step up to an Ashdown in the near future. What I've heard of their combos is really nice for the price. I'm looking closely at the Electric Blue EB15-150. Anyone familiar with these?

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Another Ashdown owner, but it's my practice.small gig amp!!! Then one I have it the EB-15 130, the one that made way for the one you are looking at. I think the main difference is 20 watts and the octaver effect!!

Very portable little amp, very loud fat sound from it though, and it sound lovely with the EQ set flat. I'm very impressed with it!!!! And I couldn't believe the amp I got for the money!!

7. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    Is there any other amp other than Ashdown?
    I own an ABM500/15 and also an EB130/15 and each one is fantastic. You can't expect the EB to equal the ABM but it's still a super amp.
    Johnny - remember that fault you had on yours when you first had it, well mine developed a similar one this last week. I spoke to Jason at Ashdown about it on Monday morning - sent it by Amtrak courier on Monday afternoon ( BIG mistake) - it spent two and a half days on a lorry travelling around Colchester. Ashdown finally got it at 3.30pm on Thursday afternoon - the fault was fixed and it was on its way back to me on Friday and I collected it from Business Post locally on Saturday morning (they don't deliver on weekends). How's that for fantastic service. Just where else will you get that. I may be my imagination but the amp now sounds even better then before.

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Glad you got yours fixed - Sound Control just swapped mine out ,which was good. No doubt they'd have sent it back to Ashdown to be fixed. I'm still enjoying every minute of playing it - it goes with me to every practice!

9. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I am not the sort of guy to spend big money on a bass amp, but I have been just thrilled with my ABM 500 since getting it a few months ago. I use the octaver all the time and it pumps out all the big boomy low end that I could want. I'm totally dominating my guitarists Hiwatt! To my ears, it's got the most natural and warm sound of any of the tube pre/MOSFET power amp bass amps available. Actually, I'm not even certain that it's technically a MOSFET output stage as it sounds more tube-like than any other amp I've heard. The only amp that I would prefer over this is a Trace Elliot V-6, but you don't see those very often anymore.

10. Since everyone in here praises Ashdown do you think i should go for the Mag C115 265watt combo as its going for 500pounds and thats ideal for me

11. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Ridethebike

Keep shopping around and you may be able to get it cheaper...

I love my ashdown abm c110, and for a single 10" combo, it can cook!

Whats even better is that it's EXTREMELY easy to upgrade the 300watt power amp to 500watts... (but I didn't say that....)... I haven't got around to doing it on mine yet, but I will soon - then I'll have a great wee combo that can drive a gigging speaker backline too (with the 10" disconnected of course!)

12. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi SMASH,

I had thought of that too...

but I'm also designing and building a couple of cabs in the next few months, so I thought I'd build the case for the head myself....

I am a glutton for punishment!

13. Hey bigwan thanx for advice i will look around how do u uprgade the amp then to 500 watt do u add extra ohms (dunno wot they are but it sounded rite)