Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Squice, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Hi all..
    I´m thinking about buying a new rig.. and have been looking towards ashdown amps. but ain´t able to try one out myself. I just heard great thinks about those amps. What i´m looking at soundvise is flexibillity prob. not spelled right,,:) i play alot of different stuff, alternative rock, jazz, funk, and alot other. I like to be able to get smooth sound, much bottom, also crispy highs, and also would to be able to switch to more aggressive punchy sound. So the question is, would i have this flex.. with the ashdown. do you think i will find what i´m looking for with the ashdown amps? i have been using trace elliot, 300w combo with 4x10" and simply just doesn´t like that trace sound to much mid sound and i was never able to get that smooth sound i was looking for. in the ashdown i have been thinking about two things, otherwise get the ABM 500RC EVO head, or ABM RPM1 pre and the APM1000 poweramp, so what would i gain getting the second one other than just more power that probably wouldn´t get my more volume just more headroom that would give a little more bottom but at alot more expensive price....would it be worth it? also looking for cabs to go with, i´ve been looking at Aguilar cabs, as with the amp, at can´t try out those cabs becouse no music store here got them, i´m looking at 2x10"+1x15", and choosing 2x10 instead of 4x10" just becouse of the smaller size, easier to move around. do you think those cabs would well with the amp, soundvise, would this combination get me the sound that i´m looking for??

my best regards....
  2. Well, I have had an Ashdown amp for about the past 9 months. It's only one of the Electric Blue 130 combos, with a 15" speaker.

My main rig is a Trace ElliotAH500 with 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 Trace cabs. I was looking for a smaller practice and small gig ampo, and found everything I need in the Ashdown.

This might be a problem for you, as I plug my Spector bass in to the Trace Elliot rig and it sounds good flat - no EQ, nothing. I plug it into the Ashdown, and also with this amp flat, I like the sound. I don't think they are a million miles away from each other - slightly different, but not very different.

Mark Gooday, the MD of Ashdown was one of the head people in Trace Elliot, so it's maybe no surprise that there are similarities. I believe this time he gets to do what he wants, I believe he had to compromise a bit more at Trace as he was on the same level as a couple of other people.

What I will say is that I have a big hankering (GAS) for an ABM 500 head and a mini 4x8 and a mini 1 x15. It looks so portable, and will have headroom to spare.

I'm sure that there are some other Ashdown users who use the bigger heads that may be able to help you more!
  3. I used to use a trace-elliot gpm12 300 watt head through a trace 4x10 cab , loved the sound but found the cab just too big to go through doorways sometimes.

I heard about ashdowns "mini" cabs and got my local dealer to order some , a mini 48 (4X8" - 600 watts) and a mini 15 (1x15 - 300 watts) they are tiny , 500mm square x 300mm deep and very easy to move around , sound is amazing , even the 4x8 on its own is good but with the 15 you get a very full sound.
    I have been using these cabs with my trace head for a few months now and love them , so I recently "borrowed" an ashdown ABM 300 evo head to try , the flat eq sound is very similar to the trace flat sound , the eq itself is only 7 band instead of 12 so probably not quite as good as the trace but how many people would be able to tell ?.....not me :)

I am hoping to try the 500evo head too before I make a decision what to buy , I will post again if there is any major difference between the 3 and the 5

egg :)
  4. I've got the Ashdown minis as well...superb.
  5. flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england
    I got me the abm500 recently, i'm still messing around with the settings on it, but overall it seems like a superb amp.
    Has a proper low end to it that my other amps have been lacking (and that's without activating the subharmoniser), it can deliver trebly punk type sounds and dubby bass without much effort, oh and i haven't turned the gain or output above half yet (in a noisy alt rock outfit) so it's definitely a loud amp.

now i just got to get me a limiter or compressor or i'm gonna be waving bye bye to my speakers!

enough of me,
  6. zoran

May 10, 2002
    Jamiroquai bassist use ashdown preamp/power amp with yamaha trb5p bass and two 4x10" ashdown cabs. I've heard him on the stage cause we played before him and it had very warm and punchy sound with great definition. Maybe more brightness will be better but it depends what you want from your sound.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I use Ashdown and the best way I can discribe it's sound is It's very solid(even lows,mids,and highs.) and versatile.
  8. I just got the ABM 300 after saving for 6 months and WOW!! Best amp in the world!! Ever!! Does everything and I especially like the preset eq which is footswitchable so you can have two different eqs and change at the press of a button (I use the preset for normal playing and then take it off to use my own eq for solos/slap)
  9. DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    I use an Ashdown MAG250 through a 4x10 and a 1x15. (possibly not enough power to make effective use of them both, but I like the way it sound!! hehe). Once I had sat down with the amp for a bit, I found it pretty easy to dial in the sound I wanted using a combination of the 3 band EQ on my bass and the 5 band eq on the amp.... so the ABM500 with the EVO preamp and 7 band eq should give you loads of possibilities to choose from!

DC :)