Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown's New Preamps & Heads???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Oct 20, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    at the recent Bass Player Live NYC this past weekend, i got to try Ashdown's new Mark King signature MK500 head, and not too shabby! very rich, fat, and yet spoke rock like no other. moreso than any Ampeg.

[​IMG]

besides the color, how does it differ from the AD600 head?

[​IMG]

has anyone tried the AL-ADRP1 preamp? wonder how it compares to the ol' RPM-1.

UK TB'ers speak out!

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I haven't tried one but based on their appearance (and certain controls) I suspect they're extremely similar to the last Trace Elliott head, the 1000W triamp monster with harmonic emphasis control. Many of the Ashdown personnel are ex-TE and now that Gibson has done the usual, there's probably a market for those that loved the hot midrangey Trace tone.

Alex

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Mark King head did sound great.
    In fact, all the Ashdown stuff sounded great - I hadn't heard their cabs before.
    One big plus: their booth staff were very helpful and encouraging people to try out ALL the cabs.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea,

they were REALLY pushing their gear, eh? ;)

but i gotta say, the Mark King did play well, and has gotten me piqued to try their new preamp.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I found it interesting to see that JJ Burnell of the Stranglers is also using the Mark King Head, now that shows a diverse range of tones from an amp. JJ to Mark King thats quite a range

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, with it being a MK I guess I was probably expecting more of a clean classic 80's Trace sound. It was surprisingly warm

7. What is "classic 80s" anyway. Does it mean trace or swr. Do these ashdowns have tubes like the abms?

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    id love to get that new preamp and put it infront of my abm 900. i swear itd be the hand of god. but i havent been able to try one.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    AFAIK,

there's a tube in the MK i tried that warmed up the sound. Dave mentioned it sounded a tad blurry up top with the tube in the loop, but i thought it just sounded warmer. not too bad. but i'd still wanna put it thru my cabs.

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, being from the UK originally I was thinking Trace :)

The MK had a tube in it, like Joker mentioned. Their RPM-1 preamp also has one. You can blend between solid state / tube, which is a nice touch.
    As he said, I felt it got a bit indistinct in the upper registers with the tube prominent in the mix . But somone's indistinct is another person's warm :)
    But that was at extreme tube/ss blend settings, there were plenty of usable sounds in between those extremes.

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Anyone know how much the new preamp costs?

12. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I thought the MK was purely solid-state ?? Hmmm, I had no idea there was a tube in there.

The ADRP1 is basically an MK frontend preamp with the addition of a crossover and an SPDIF coax digital output for recording.

I think all of the models are up on the site now. I've been trying to get in touch with my rep here regarding the new preamp pricing. There will be a powered head version as well with a 500w power section and most likely will be less expensive than the MK.

I played MK #3 (#1 in the US) and it does rock. I totally agree in that I was shocked at how much warmer it was than I expected. Very cool.

13. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

my guess, coudl be wrong, is somewhere in teh neighboorhood of of 6 or 700 USD.

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you're right. It is solid-state, looking at the site. My (our) bad. But I'm certain the rep said it had a tube. Looking at the specs I think what the rep was describing as the tube blend was the 'harmonic emphasis' knob. Other preamps like the RPM-1 do have the tube/solid state blend.

15. I have the MK500 and it is a monster. All solid state, but it's analog components -- no integrated circuits.

http://www.ashdownmusic.com/press/releases/markking/index.html

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM04/Content/Ashdown/PR/Ashdown-Labs-Mark-King.html

I run this through 2 GS112s and there's tons of headroom. The head's also very sensitive and reproduces all of the subtleties of the fingers on the strings. I'm running the EQ pretty much flat. What amazes me about this head is the warmth that it has for being solid state.